Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service desk Collaborators

KRC August 30, 2017

Hi we have SD 3.5.0, and I received a request to add collaborators, and I found a doc which says to go to people tab and the add collaborators. In my case, I can't see people tab anywhere in SD. Am in the correct place?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2017

The formal concept of a 'collaborator' does not really exist in JIRA Service Desk anymore. A collaborator is a member of the Service Desk Team role of your Service Desk project who is not licensed as a Service Desk Agent.

So to add someone (who is not a Service Desk agent) as a collaborator, navigate to the Project Settings section and under Users and Roles add the person to the Service Desk Team role.

KRC August 30, 2017

okay. thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

Christoph Köberle April 24, 2018

But what if a user is a Service Desk agent in one project and may not be agent for another project? If I add him to the Service Desk Team role then he well be an agent for that other project as well.

Any suggestions?

Like Michael Hart likes this
KRC April 24, 2018

From my understanding. if a user has service desk user license, the user will be an agent across JIRA service desk. It's not project based. If you add a user to service desk team, he/she can only add comments and add attachments but can't move issues or add watchers etc to a particular project.

In my case, we added outside vendors/3rd party to service desk team so that they can add comments and attachments, whereas my company people are agents who "actually" solve jira service desk tickets 

Hmm. Let's assume you have 50 agents and maybe 100 SD projects, do you want each of them be an agent in every single project? No.

But you surely want some of them as coworkers without the need/possibility to comment to customers of a specific project.

If a user owns a service desk license, you cannot add him to service desk project role without being an agent.

The former concept of 'collaborators' was pretty good ...

KRC April 24, 2018

We may not want them to be agents but they can peak into other SD projects if you don't want them then maybe add a custom permission scheme with groups in it.

If the user has SD license then adding them to SD project role makes no meaning as they already have full SD access, but when you add a user to SD project role, then users JIRA user license will come to play.

So yep, its kind of there but not.

I tried that already but no "real" success.

Another example: I want to prevent Collaborators from writing public comments, but they need to edit let's say some custom fields (because they have the knowledge an agent doesn't have). Do you have an idea if or how that is possible?

KRC April 24, 2018

I don't remember correctly--SD project role user may have an option either to comment externally(customer facing) or internally(within the project)? It could work in your case and coming to editing tickets, they cant.

or use some script/listener to detect comment and based on the comment update custom field.

As a cheeky workaround- use 1 SD license and give it to collaborators and modify permission scheme accordingly. I could be wrong but..just a thought

Lars Sundstrom July 10, 2018

This does not answer my issue. 

What does a Collaborator have access to and do they use up a Service desk License?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 10, 2018

no they do not require JSD license if they have JSW/Core license. What they have access to is in part dependent on configured permissions. However, they cannot: be assigned the issue, transition the issue, resolve the issue. They can: view, comment internally, watch

Lars Sundstrom July 10, 2018

I do not seem to be able to address them with the @ sign in internal comments therefore I do not think you can say they can comment internally.....

Dave Hollinden September 28, 2018
Dave Hollinden September 28, 2018

and here as well

https://confluence.atlassian.com/confeval/jira-service-desk-evaluator-resources/jira-service-desk-agents-customers-and-roles

Collaborator

Collaborators are users that occasionally assist agents with customer requests by making internal comments. For example, developers help support staff analyze a bug and add a comment that explains the cause and any workaround available. 

Collaborators don't have access to the service desk interface (e.g. queues, reports and SLAs) and service desk projects appear as JIRA projects to them. They cannot work on issues, for example, logging work or transitioning issues.

Collaborators can:

• View issues, comments and attachments
  • Add attachments and delete their own attachments
  • Add internal comments to issues and delete their own comments
  • Watch and vote for issues
  • View other watchers and voters

A collaborator consumes one JIRA user license. 

Like # people like this
Ashish Malik February 10, 2020

Question: How can we capture a Collaborator's time spent on the issue?

Like # people like this
Xavier Idrovo May 12, 2020

Any response on this?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2020

You need to create a new question. The reason you are not getting a time response is that the only people seeing this are the people on this thread. This is because the post already has an accepted answer and Ashish has asked a separate question.

now that out of the way....

how do you define Collaborators time spent? If you want to capture such you would need to create a custom field and ensure your process requires collaborators to update the field.

Xavier Idrovo May 12, 2020

I thought collaborators, who are not agents, only had access to internal comments. Are you saying that I can create a custom field that can be updated by a non-agent?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2020

No. They can only make internal comments. So an agent would have to translate the data into the field. IMO, tracking time spent by collaborator should be done outside JSD, e.g. JSW linked issue.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events