Service desk Collaborators

Hi we have SD 3.5.0, and I received a request to add collaborators, and I found a doc which says to go to people tab and the add collaborators. In my case, I can't see people tab anywhere in SD. Am in the correct place?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote

The formal concept of a 'collaborator' does not really exist in JIRA Service Desk anymore. A collaborator is a member of the Service Desk Team role of your Service Desk project who is not licensed as a Service Desk Agent.

So to add someone (who is not a Service Desk agent) as a collaborator, navigate to the Project Settings section and under Users and Roles add the person to the Service Desk Team role.

okay. thanks for sharing your knowledge. 

But what if a user is a Service Desk agent in one project and may not be agent for another project? If I add him to the Service Desk Team role then he well be an agent for that other project as well.

Any suggestions?

From my understanding. if a user has service desk user license, the user will be an agent across JIRA service desk. It's not project based. If you add a user to service desk team, he/she can only add comments and add attachments but can't move issues or add watchers etc to a particular project.

In my case, we added outside vendors/3rd party to service desk team so that they can add comments and attachments, whereas my company people are agents who "actually" solve jira service desk tickets 

Hmm. Let's assume you have 50 agents and maybe 100 SD projects, do you want each of them be an agent in every single project? No.

But you surely want some of them as coworkers without the need/possibility to comment to customers of a specific project.

If a user owns a service desk license, you cannot add him to service desk project role without being an agent.

The former concept of 'collaborators' was pretty good ...

We may not want them to be agents but they can peak into other SD projects if you don't want them then maybe add a custom permission scheme with groups in it.

If the user has SD license then adding them to SD project role makes no meaning as they already have full SD access, but when you add a user to SD project role, then users JIRA user license will come to play.

So yep, its kind of there but not.

I tried that already but no "real" success.

Another example: I want to prevent Collaborators from writing public comments, but they need to edit let's say some custom fields (because they have the knowledge an agent doesn't have). Do you have an idea if or how that is possible?

I don't remember correctly--SD project role user may have an option either to comment externally(customer facing) or internally(within the project)? It could work in your case and coming to editing tickets, they cant.

or use some script/listener to detect comment and based on the comment update custom field.

As a cheeky workaround- use 1 SD license and give it to collaborators and modify permission scheme accordingly. I could be wrong but..just a thought

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Jun 14, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

How the Telegram Integration for Jira helps Sergey's team take their support efficiency to the bank

...+ reading Fantasy). The same is true for him at the bank he works for: Efficiency is key when time literally equals money. Read on to learn how Sergey makes most of the time he has by...

450 views 2 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you