Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Service Desk: Reminder for pending approval

Brüse, Bernhard November 6, 2018

Hi there,

we have a working Service Desk project with approvals. I was ask if it's possible to implement a reminder mail to the reporter and approver regarding pending approval after 5 days. I thought about the following implementation:

1. Transition to the same status (Waiting for Approval) incl. a post function "Email this issue" with an according mail template

2. Automation rule based on the following JQL:  status = "Waiting for Approval" and created < -4d and created > -5d. Scheduled every day. Of course, the according "Reminder" transition should be performed on the affected issues.

Regrettably it doesn't work properly. For testing reasons I created a Jira issue filter incl. Subscription to me in order to get notified on affected issues. On the weekend I was correctly reminded to a pending testing issue. Today, I received the filter subcription - but the automation rule wasn't triggered for real approvals.

Do you see any mistakes in my concept or configuration? Or do you have even a better idea for implementation?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,
Bernhard

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2018

Hi Bernhard,

What is the trigger though on your automation rule?   ANd what does it say when you view the automation log to see if conditions are met?

In our org, I used the app "Extension for Jira Service Desk".  I created a new SLA called "Time to Approve".   When the Time to Approve breaches I trigger a workflow transition that sends an email to the approvers to remind them AND using the App I use their post-workflow function to reset the SLA. 

So that if not approved in 2 hours it will notify again.  IT's pretty effective.

Hope that helps

Susan

Brüse, Bernhard November 24, 2018

Thanks, Susan. I keep that solution in mind.

Cheers,
Bernhard

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 6, 2018

Your approach seems correct to me. You say it worked for a test issue but not real issue? If so then what is different between the two? Does automation run and if so what do the automation logs say?

Brüse, Bernhard November 24, 2018

Hi Jack,

thank you very much. I changed the automation rules configuration. Now it works correctly as expected.

Regards,

Bernhard

Ngoc_Truong May 20, 2019

Hi Bernhard,

How did you accomplish this?  I'm trying to apply the same idea.

Brüse, Bernhard June 17, 2019

Hi, I am using the following JQL:

status = "Waiting for Approval" and issuetype = "ABC" and created < -4d and created > -5d

Besides, the actor of the automation rule is a system administrator with according permissions in order to perform the issue transition properly.

hkenny October 29, 2019

Does this post-function of "Email this issue" need an add on? I'm not seeing it. 

I can't see how to chase outstanding approvers only.

Brüse, Bernhard October 29, 2019

"Email this issue" is a post function provided by Email This Issue App

hkenny October 29, 2019

Thank you. Shame it's not an in-built option.

Like NAC IT likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events