Reply on mail giving - "You do not have permission to create internal comments on this issue"

Nikita January 10, 2020

Hi,

We are getting an error in the email log for our default email handler, for few emails -

"You do not have permission to create internal comments on this issue"

This error occurs only when the customer who is replying on the mail is not added as request participant(TO or CC), instead he/she is part of an internal group which is added as request participant.

eg.

Original sender who raised request via mail - user1@domain1.com

CC on that mail - group1@domain1.com (Google group)

Reply on that mail by member of group1@domain1.com - user2@domain1.com

Here, Service Desk Ticket is created successfully with group1@domain1.com as Request Participant.

But, reply by 2nd user is not recorded as comment on that ticket.

Email log shows -

"You do not have permission to create internal comments on this issue"  against user2@domain1.com

We need the members of group email ids, added as Request Participants, to be able to comment on these tickets.

Any workaround for this??

Regards,

Nikita Jain

1 answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2020

Hello Nikita,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

When adding an email as a participant, only that user will be able to comment on the ticket. With that said, even if the user2@domain1.com is part of the group group1@domain1.com, if they don't reply as group1@domain1.com, they won't have permission and the comment won't be added, that's why it shows the error on the logs.

The best option, in this case, is to create an organization on the project and add everyone from that distribution list to the organization, so when the customer creates a ticket thought the portal or email, the ticket will be shared.

When the customer that creates the ticket using the email is part of only one organization, the ticket will be shared by default. If they are part of more than one organization, it won't be shared because Jira won't know what organization it should be shared.

If you have any other questions regarding this matter, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Nikita January 22, 2020

Hi Angelica,

Thanks for your response. 

I added Organization and it is getting automatically added to the ticket, as expected.

But there are few people who are part of organization and still they are not able to add comment on that ticket.

There are no special settings for those customers, nor are they part of multiple organizations.

Please help!

Regards,

Nikita

Nikita January 23, 2020

Hi,

PFA images showing a customer "Shashank Singh" added in "Customer Support" organization which is tagged in the Jira ticket, but the user is unable to view this ticket.

_FIRE-652  Referral code not working - 915987 - Jira.pngFirefighters - Customers - Service desk - Jira.pngFirefighters - Organizations - Service desk - Jira.png

Nikita January 24, 2020

Hi  @Angélica Luz ,

Any update on this?

Regards,
Nikita

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

Thank you for the details, Nikita.

Can you please check on the logs in the project to confirm if the email address of the emails that Failed is the same as the customer is using to login on the instance.

I’m asking this because sometimes a customer uses Outlook, for example, with more than one inbox and they receive the notification on addressA@email.com but reply with addressB@domain.com.

Also, go to Administration > Jira Service Desk and confirm if the customer has only one account. If they have two different accounts, they are probably using the one that has no permission in the project.

Nikita January 28, 2020

Hi @Angélica Luz ,

I checked with the person and can confirm that he is using correct email id and still not able to view this issue.

Please look into it.

Regards,
Nikita Jain

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 28, 2020

Thank you for checking this, Nikita.

I know that it's a separate question about the duplicated account, but does this user has a duplicated account as well? If so, have you migrated them to Atlassian account?

I saw that you created another question here about permissions, have you fixed that error?

Nikita January 28, 2020

Hi @Angélica Luz , 

Thanks Angelica for your response.

No, this user did not have a duplicate account. Additionally, I have migrated other duplicate accounts to Atlassian ones.

Nonetheless, this user is not able to view the above mentioned ticket.

Also, for some users I am getting -
"You do not have permission to view this attachment"

Can you tell me what this stands for or in which scenario should this ideally appear?

Regards,
Nikita Jain

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 30, 2020

Can you please confirm if the role Service Desk Customer - Portal Access has the following permissions on Project settings > Permissions?

• Browse Projects
  • Assign Issues*
  • Close Issues
  • Create Issues
  • Delete Issues*
  • Edit Issues*
  • Link Issues*
  • Modify Reporter*
  • Move Issues*
  • Resolve Issues
  • Schedule Issues*
  • Set Issue Security*
  • Transition Issues
  • Manage Watchers*
  • View Voters and Watchers*
  • Add Comments
  • Delete Own Comments*
  • Edit Own Comments*
  • Create Attachments
  • Delete Own Attachments*

* Customers can't do this when using the customer portal because those features aren't available, but to avoid any issues, it's important to let those permissions to their role.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events