Replies to existing tickets are creating new tickets

Galen Lyngholm October 3, 2017

Replies from users that aren't participants in a ticket, but are included in the email chain, spawn an entirely new ticket instead of adding a comment to the existing one.

Example flow:

Joe opens a ticket, the service desk adds a comment asking for more information

Joe replies to the service desk and CC's Anne, asking Anne for more information - this step works correctly, Joe's reply goes into the comments section of the ticket

Anne replies-all with more info - at this step, Anne's reply will spawn an entirely new ticket with the original ticket key as part of the summary.

The original ticket key is in the email subject but it still creates a new one - is there a way to always add to an existing case? I've tried creating an incoming mail handler to add comments in Jira System Administration, but it doesn't seem to affect anything. The reply address from the service desk is different from the one in the incoming mail in System Administration, so I'm not even sure those handlers come into play. If I send an email directly to the email address in Jira System Administration, nothing happens at all, maybe that's related?

5 answers

0 votes
beacon.grayson January 4, 2022

This is happening in our cloud instance as well, and I have yet to find a solution. The people who reply to an email when they are CC'd on a system notification will not add a comment to the ticket, even if that person has access to the system as a customer.

0 votes
Richard Savage April 28, 2020

Hi there, 

We too are experiencing this issue with JSD Cloud. It's pretty horrible and requires a lot of manual work to fix up. 

Cheers

0 votes
Juan Sueiro September 25, 2019

Hello, 

I'm experiencing the same issue (Jira Service Desk Cloud). Is there any workaround/fix to avoid this? 

Thanks!

0 votes
volkan ciftci
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2017

Hi Galen

in JIRA Service Desk 3.5.x release notes; there is an subject about that. "Non-Customer comments " and "Creating customer from email adress list" below link

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedesk/jira-service-desk-3-5-x-release-notes-894738991.html 

i do not know what  the JSD versiyon of yours, but two options added in email requests tab with 3.5.x as below

1.png

You can pick , "only allow customer..." and "yes both agent and customer...." ones. Meybe this options will be prevent creating new ticket with same subject

br,

Galen Lyngholm October 4, 2017

Thanks, that appears to be what I want but it doesn't look like that's available on my instance - we're using the cloud-hosted version, is that feature not available on this platform?

volkan ciftci
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 5, 2017

Hi Galen,

sorry but i'm not sure about that (using server versiyon). Checked docs  for cloud version but i could not find anything. 

Best regards

Francois Leroux September 7, 2018

Hi Galen,

I'm seeing the same behaviour currently on our cloud-hosted version. Did you ever figure out how to resolve the issue?

Thanks,

Francois

Alex Lopez September 20, 2018

My team's experiencing the same issue. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance!

0 votes
Galen Lyngholm October 3, 2017

correction - sending an email to the address in system administration does create a new issue, just not on the service desk project.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events