Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pause SLA on Pending reason

Esther Strom March 29, 2019

We have a custom field on our service desk request called Opening Date. Is there any way to set our Time to Resolution SLA to pause until that date?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2019

If you have ScriptRunner installed, I'll explain one way this can be accomplished.

We do have ScriptRunner. Just be aware that we are on Cloud, so the plugin has limited functionality compared to on-prem. I'd definitely be interested if there's a way to do it.

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 29, 2019

Ah, OK, so being on Cloud this may or may not work.

We use their Escalation Service for a few things, so here's a thought.

You could have a transition/status of Pending, and after completing the initial set of tasks, key in the opening date and then click Pending to put it in that status.

In your Time to Resolution SLA, you can pause on Status: Pending to pause the clock while the issue is in that status.

Have an Escalation Service configured that runs every day at say, 8:00am (you can configure it using CRON expressions) that checks a JQL of Status = Pending and  "Opening Date" >= startOfDay() with an action of Resume Work (or whichever transition moves the issue from Pending to In Progress, etc.) That will resume the Time to Resolution counter.

Like Alexander Bondarev likes this

Hmm. As indicated in my initial response to Alexander, we don't key in the Opening Date; that's provided at creation by our customers.

We already have a status of Pending that pauses the SLA which we're using for other purposes.

I'll look at ScriptRunner and see if escalation services are available. 

One more question: we don't use a 24/7 calendar for our SLAs. I'm assuming your suggestion of using startOfDay() = Opening Date would restart the SLA at midnight on that date; is there any way to have it start at a specific hour?

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2019

Ah, ok, you're part of the way there. You just need the SLA to begin counting again when you hit the opening date. An Escalation Service will do just that, if it's available in the cloud version. Fingers crossed!

It works! Thanks so much. 

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2019

Great! I originally missed the part of your response in which you inquire about restarting the SLA at a specific time (rather than midnight) ... you can control that by the time you set the Escalation Service to run. You can set it to run at 8:00am, for example, so that is when the transition out of "Pending" will occur and when the SLA will resume counting.

Like Esther Strom likes this
0 votes
Julia Denys _SaaSJet_ July 24, 2019

Hi @Esther Strom 

You can use add-ons to set the time and track your SLAs for issues in Jira Cloud.

With SLA Time and Report, you can specify SLA timer value and start/stop statuses for certain issues and get to know whether they are getting resolved in the given time. What's important, you can set SLA timer value and statuses when countdown should be turned on/turned off according to your issues workflow, project, and priorities.

If you want to have an up-close look at the data, you can generate SLA reports and later export them as XLSX or CSV file.

There are more features to explore by using this add-on. Hope, SLA Time and Report will improve your performance in Jira Cloud.

Best regards,
Julia
SaaSJet

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2019

Thank you for your recommendation, but we were able to accomplish what we needed with ScriptRunner, which we already own. 

0 votes
Alexander Bondarev
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2019

Hello!

Сan you tell more about bussiness-logic? Can your "opening date" change?

How do you fill this field?

Nope, the date won't change. (I mean, theoretically, but if that were to happen, the original request would be closed and a new one created.)

My company builds and maintains the website and back-of-house software for a national pizza chain. When a new store location is opened, there are a lot of tasks that have to be done, so the franchisee will submit a service desk request several weeks before the store opening day. There are a handful of those tasks that will be performed when the request is first opened, but there are some that cannot be done before opening day. 

Time to First Response SLA is fine with being a specified number of hours from ticket creation. Time to Resolution should really be 24 hours from the start of the date in the Opening Date field, so we'd like to prevent it from counting down to the 24 hours until the start of that particular date.

I am our Jira site admin, and am comfortable with customizing workflows, post functions, etc. if there's a way to do it via a workflow change.

ETA: sorry, missed your updated question about how that field gets filled. It's a field on the actual request that the customer fills out. They provide the date at the time the ticket is created.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events