Hi. I am having an issue where a series of e-mails are being added as comments to an existing closed Issue instead of creating new issues. The Subjects of the e-mails are different, but the sender is the same.
Issue created via e-mail request with subject:
INC0860423 - EFB Data Not received
This issue is closed.
Then I receive from same sender an email request with subject:
INC0917344 - vAmos Alarms
This, instead of creating a new issue, is being added to the first one as comment.
This is a really bad behaviour which totally destroys the tracing of the issues raised via e-mail. Anyone has found this issue and knows a solution? Is it because it starts as INC? if so... it is a terrible matching criteria
that is certainly odd. one question/thought...
How are these emails being created. Is the user replying to the Jira notifications for these existing tickets or are they creating them from scratch. I wonder if the user might be replying to the first ticket and changing the subject to the second. I know that I have been successful previously creating a comment by creating an email from scratch and simply entering the issuekey. You might check the logs (very limited in cloud for the user) but I suspect you will need to check w/ Atlassian Support to get to the bottom of it.
Hi. The e-mails are manually created by a person from scratch (so it is not an automated e-mail). In the subject or the content of the second e-mail there is no reference to the issue number created for the first one.
either there is a very weird bug in your instance or there is something fundamental being overlooked. Unfortunately I cannot really troubleshoot from afar and recommend opening a support ticket so Atlassian can dig into the logs more completely. Prior to that I would again suggest you look at the logs provided to you - Jira settings > System > Audit log - find the log associate w/ the suspect issue/email and see if there are any smoking guns.
Thank you. I have checked the audit log but there is nothing really relevant there. I have opened the ticket to see if they can figure out what is going on. Will post it here whenever I get the solution
So, talking with the customer support, basically they tell me that the issue is that the messageID is the same, because the reporter used an old email, deleted all the fields including the subject and content and then wrote a new one. Which is a terrible way of handling e-mails, because they do not take into consideration a more than common situation when there is a constant report of issues between two companies. Really, really bad. Their solution is: Tell the customers to not send e-mails that way. Dear goodness.
Hi Atlassian Community! This is Teresa from the Atlassian team. My colleague Paul Buffington @Buff and I are excited to share a brand new ITSM resource we’ve created – "The Complete Guide to At...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event