Multiple Tickets from the same Email Alert?

Guillermo Gallardo April 19, 2017

Hi, I currently have SPLUNK configured that every time we have an alert an email will be sent to JIRA, That email will create a JIRA Ticket.

The problem is that every time I have a follow-up alert (email) because the issue persists a new ticket is created so ended in several duplicated ticket for the same issue.

Is there a way to add those follow-up alerts as comments. The subject is identical so I was expecting JIRA to be smart enough to add the following alert with the same subject as a comment and not creating a new ticket.

Any ideas?

1 answer

0 votes
Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2017

Hi Guillermo,

Have you checked the settings for your Incoming Mail Handler?  There are a number of options like:  "Create a new issue or add a comment to an existing issue" vs. "Create a new issue from each email message."  It might be as simple as chosing the former option over the latter.

You can get to your settings page by clicking Admin > System > Incoming Mail or directly via:  yourjiraurl.com/secure/admin/IncomingMailServers.jspa

On the "Incoming Mail" page, scroll down to the records under the "Mail Handlers" header.  Click the "Edit" link for the proper line item.  In the overlay, look for the "Handler" field and update the setting as desired.

There's more info on this feature here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-779288896.html (Cloud) or here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/creating-issues-and-comments-from-email-861253784.html (Server).

Hope this helps!

Rachel Wright

Guillermo Gallardo April 26, 2017

Hi Rachel, thanks a lot!

I saw that but I can make it work... any idea about a tutorial or a guide that can help me?

thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events