Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mandatory Solution Field

Stephanie Kohne January 14, 2020

Good day, 

Am I doing this right?

I have created a custom field added to the request types for "Solution" I haven been struggling to find a way to make the "Solution" field Mandatory to be filled in before the request may transition Resolved/Done

Any Advice?

Sincerely, Stephanie

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2020

Hi Stephanie,

Here is how to handle this. Basically, you need to set a Validator on the transition into Resolved/Done. Here is how:

1. edit the work (i find diagram mode easiest) - project > project settings > workflows
  2. find the transition into Resolved/Done and double click it
  3. on the right there are some properties - select Validator
  4. Add a validator of type custom field required and select your Solution custom field. you should also add an error message that explains to the user performing the transition of this requirement
  5. Next you need to add a screen to the transition. Again you will see this option in the modal that pops up when selecting the transition. You may already have a screen for this and if so then simply add Solution field to the screen. If not then you will need to create a new screen and then associate to that transition. To add a screen continue to step 6.
  6. add transition screen - project settings - screens - add screen, call it something like "Solution required on resolve"
  7. Publish the workflow

Note:

• If not already the case you should also include Resolution field in this very same manner as that is important to do when resolving issues in Jira. This will allow the user performing the transition to select from the list of resolutions: done, won't do, canceled, cannot reproduce, etc. the Solution and Resolution fields would go on the same transition screen

hope this helps

Hi Jack, thanks for your response but you've lost me on workflows -Looks like I have to create a new workflow for Service Desk as the only workflows I have for the Service Desk is in itself based on the request types.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2020

Can you share a screenshot of your project settings and workflow screen

Hi Jack, it goes on and on likes this for all the different client projects, these were set up by someone else, I was only tasked with setting up the Service Desk which was set and tested before me as well, I cant find a workflow for the service desk here, that isCapture1.PNGCapture2.PNG

This is why I think I need to set up a new workflow for Service Desk? How do I make it active, do I need to set up a screen scheme as well? 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2020

Well you are looking at all workflows here. I was suggesting you edit the workflow specific to the project. This is accessed via project > project settings > workflows. 

now if you want to create a different workflow you can make a copy of the current one, rename it, edit it as stated above then associate to the current project and issue types. Again you do this under the project Workflows screen.

Alex October 23, 2023

Hi @Jack Brickey I was basically looking for the same but now when I want to make this "Solution" visible for customers on the portal the only way I see is to add it to the that request type screen. But then it will be part of the "create" screen too, for users to edit. That doesn't make any sense obviously.

What's the best practise to document the solution of a ticket in Jira SD?
(so user can find it via the portal)
Would you edit the original description and eg add new paragraphs?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2023

@Alex , your use case is different so I suggest a new question.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events