Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

License limit - how to delete Jira users with Crowd/LDAP

Jeff Karp August 7, 2019

We have reached our Jira user license limit, however, we have many accounts that can be removed but cannot delete them as using Crown/LDAP.

When accessing the Crowd server it prompts me for a new License as the user limit has been reached.

Crown is syncing with our LDAP server and I have deleted users in LDAP that were users on Jira.

Is this the correct procedure? Or should I do something else?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 9, 2019

Hello Jeff,

Welcome to Atlassian community!

You are correct to say that changes in your LDAP server (User deletion, user creation, etc) will directly reflect on Crowd, as long as the option to Synchronize User Details is enabled. The changes should be applied to Crowd in the next synchronization, as described in the documentation below:

Deleting or Deactivating a User

That being said, we strongly recommend you to deactivate a user instead of deleting it, in case some applications contain historical data, such as documents that the user has created (Click Here for more information about it).

P.S: Deactivating a user that resides in LDAP

For applications that need users to exist for historical data (such as Jira), you should recreate the user and mark it inactive in a Crowd Internal Directory before deleting from your LDAP directory.

Let me know if you still have any questions.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events