Language mess Edited

By changing the default language of my JIRA Service Desk Project(s) from English to German, I seem to have created a babylonian language mess.

I want everything in German. Period.

Although I set German to be the only available (and thus default) language wherever I could, when configuring Request Types and such, everything is still in English.

What's worse, the customers seem to get misleading German translations which I can't access from the service desk settings.

Concerning workflows, the current state seems to be that I overwrote all the English terms with the correct German translations, but on the ENGLISH side of things (which shouldn't exist, as I completely deleted English in the language support view).

While the GERMAN side of things is unavailable to me, but displayed to the customer, with misleading terms as I sometimes changed the meaning of states and state transitions in the workflow editor.

What I would need is a complete list of all the terms used by the system in both English and German, so that I can spot and correct the mismatched translations.

Does such a functionality exist, or is there any other way I can create a consistent GERMAN interface to my JIRA Service Desk?

TIA

 Stephan

 

 

2 answers

0 vote

Hi Stephan,

This is a known issue reported in Changing the system language in JIRA does not translate everything on a Service Desk portal.  Please vote on the issue to add impact and add your use case to the comments.

In addition, please take a look at Incomplete Translation in Languages Other than English in JIRA for more information.

Cheers,

Branden

@Branden McElveenI'm not sure whether this is completely applicable.

I should have said that I'm using the Cloud version, for which the issue is closed, saying you can change the language now.

But my issue is not that. I could change the language of the Service Desk just fine. My issue is that although I set the Service Desk Language entirely to German, I still cannot access the German translations in the admin view.

Which makes kind of a twisted sense, as I have only one language and am not translating anything, but still my users are seeing terms I cannot influence.

Meanwhile, I found one reason for this annoying mess.

From the original workflow I used to construct this one, a couple of
transitions had attributes with i18n.title or somesuch in them.

It seems these attributes were overwriting the titles I input in the
workflow editor with some translations which were not accessible to me.
After deleting these attributes from the transitions, my own titles are
displayed.

So while I'm still at a loss why I can't just select a single language for my Service Desk, at least I can now influence what my customers are seeing.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Bridget Sauer
Published Mar 09, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

E.L. Fridge's take on education, Jira Service Desk, and creative Jira use cases

...word of mouth, so by 2016, we were working with several other entities on campus to implement Jira Service Desk . The Atlassian motto of “for every team” has really come true for us in this case. We...

965 views 2 14
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you