Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Service Desk - Can't see replies to emails as comments

Mick April 16, 2019

I have a new JSD and I wish customers be able to reply to notification emails and have them appear as comments on the ticket.

My JSD is PORTAL ONLY - I am not allowing email requests to create new tickets. I need my customers to fill in specific fields so I need to use the portal.

I am feeling sad once again because of Jira. This should be standard functionality but it is looking like once again I am going to need to jump through multiple hoops in order to make this work, if it can work.

Could someone point me in the direction?

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2019

so do I understand that you want to do the following?

1) require your users to CREATE an issue via the Portal but

2) allow them to respond via email to the notification that they receive related to the issue once created?

If so then this should work and I have verified it is in my instance. The email channel you set up in JSD Project settings > email requests is only to allow the user to CREATE the issue via email.

Jay Keck July 6, 2020

Isw there any way in servicedesk to handle the case where a user gets an email when a comment is updated and then wants to reply to that email with their own comment?

What I see is that if the servicedesk email is setup sdemail@xxx.atlassian.net, when the user getas the email created at issue creation time, they can reply to it with a comment and the correct email is automatically plugged in to the "To" list. in this case the comment is added to the issue correctly 

But if user X comments on an issue and other users get email notified that the comment has been updated, if you reply to that email the "To" list contains User.X@xxx.atlassian.net and not sdemail@xxx.atlassian.net. here the comment is not added to the issue correctly.

Since my incoming email handler is setup to look for sdemail rather than user.X, it does not get processed as a comment addition, it just seems to go nowhere.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong, or do I have to have the user add sdemail@xxx.atlassian.net on every reply to a jira email if they want the comment added?

Thanks,

Jay

0 votes
Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 16, 2019

@Mick For this to work correctly, you wilhave to set up JIRA Service Desk incoming e-mail channel using the below documentation:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskserver/receiving-requests-by-email-939926303.html

Mick April 16, 2019

Hi @Taranjeet Singh 

Thanks for this reply. I have already been through this but the documentation states that they don't recommend this method for JSD projects. Can you comment?

From the documentation:

Customer requests and comments are processed differently than jira mail. Issues created via Jira email handlers don't show up as service desk customer requests. For this reason, we don't recommend using a Jira mail handler for service desk projects.

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 16, 2019

@Mick The link I provided is for setting up email channel or email requests for JIRA Service Desk. It is recommended for JIRA Service Desk. It is different from JIRA mail handler.

Mick April 16, 2019

Ok thanks for that. It looks like what I am looking to do is not possible is JSD. See the note below:

To receive requests by email, you must have a request type with visible Summary and Description fields. All other request type fields must be optional. You can create a new request type or modify an existing one here.

I cannot have all the other fields to be optional. I have multiple fields that are required. If it wasn't for the fact that this is a huge issue for my company I would say that this is a joke. I cannot believe a product like JSD can't allow something as simple as customer email replies being added as comments.

Also.... I am not caring about requests... only comments. This also doesn't seem to be catered for by JSD.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events