Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JQL filter to show issues based on a user's JIRA Service Desk Organization affiliations

Brett June 20, 2017

Our company is running JIRA server 7.X with JIRA Service Desk as an add on.  The version of JIRA Service Desk we are running includes the ability to create and add Organizations to help share requests - very cool feature.

Our company has over 4,000 employees. We use JIRA Service Desk to process employee time off requests.  When a time off request is entered in the Service Desk, it is added to a Team Calendar in Confluence.  Every employee in the company uses the same Team Calendar in Confluence to view time off requests, but people are only able to see the requests they have permission to view.  So in other words, though people are all looking at the same calendar, they only see their own requests, or the requests that are shared with them.

We use JQL filtered JIRA issue event types to pull this off.  As an example, the JQL filter we use to show someone their own leave on the Team Calendar is:

project = LV AND reporter = (currentUser())

Our employees also have the option of sharing their request with other employees using one of two different ways.

1.  On the time off JIRA Service Desk form, we have created a custom field called "Shared with".  Employees who are requesting time off can enter other employee names in the "Shared with" field on creation (comma separate value list of user names).  When the time off request is submitted, a workflow post function adds the list of user names to the "Request participants" field in the Service Desk.  The request is shared on the Team Calendar.

2.  Or, employees can add an Organization to their request.  The Organization is pre-populated with user names.  This makes it easier on the employee who is requesting time off if they want to share their time off request with a large group of employees, and don't want to type each name individually.

Regarding #1, it's easy to come up with a JQL filter to show a user requests based on whether or not their user name is included in the "Shared with" or "Request participants" field.  It looks like this:

project = LV and (currentUser()) in "Shared with"

However, for #2, I have no idea how to write a JQL query to determine if (currentUser()) is in one of the Organizations that was added to the time off request.

Does anyone know how to write this JQL query?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 vote
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 21, 2017

HI Brett,

I too am having similar problems with the Organization. It seems very unfriendly to JQL.   There are a number of issues raised with Atlassian such as not sortable JSDSERVER-4548 and JSDSERVER-5085.

I would really like the ability to have jql Organization is EMPTY. 

:-)

Brett June 21, 2017

Susan, thank you for your reply.  I agree.  It is such a great capability to be able to add Organizations to Service Desk tickets.  Sharing becomes so much easier.  However, we need to be able to harness the power of JQL to meet all of our needs.  Hopefully Atlassian will provide some fixes soon.

Nabil
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 5, 2018

Hi Susan,

It is possible to use Organization = Empty in JQL rather than Organization is Empty. Hope this helps.

Like wtsparadigm1 likes this
Normann P_ Nielsen _Netic_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 24, 2018

No?

Screenshot 2018-10-24 at 10.34.31.png

Like Till Kulgemeyer likes this
Koen Devolder November 27, 2018

Coul you try to use 'Organizations' instead of 'Organization'? 'Organizations' should work. Example: Organizations = Empty

0 votes
wtsparadigm1 December 8, 2018

THANK YOU for the "organizations = empty" comment.  Why this is the only field in the universe that works that way is beyond me, but anyway, this helped me a bunch.  Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events