Is there a way to move tickets between service desks w/o giving the users permissions in both?

Josh Lowery August 11, 2017

Some more detail...

An IT Helpdesk and a team of DevOps engineers in my company both have service desks. It's somewhat frequent that either group will get requests better resolved by the other. The teams would like an ability to shuffle those tickets back and forth w/o giving everybody permissions in *both* projects. An ideal scenario would be an optional workflow step that allows a ticket to be dumped into a different service desk with the click of a transition button.

Does anything like this exist, even perhaps via a plug-in?

1 answer

1 vote
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 12, 2017

Hi Josh,

If you're on a Server instance, you could do this using the Create on transition for JIRA add-on. It allows you to create a (preferably linked) through a post function of a transition.

But be careful about what you mean by dumping the ticket into a different Service Desk and shuffling tickets back and forth. Your options are to create a linked ticket in the other service desk (or even in a JIRA Software project) or you can move an issue to the other service desk. I would advise against the move option, as it might be quite confusing to the end user.

To create a linked ticket in the other Service Desk, you could also use the built-in funtionality to create a linked issue in the other Service Desk:

Screen Shot 2017-08-12 at 11.44.25.png

JIRA Service Desk automation rules can help you keep the status of the original issue in sync with the linked issue's. For more information, see Service Desk Automation documentation.

Josh Lowery August 14, 2017

Thanks! I think I'll have my team play with the demo of that plugin soon.

Eugene Yasiuchenko September 14, 2017

Hello Josh, Walter

In my company we use ' Create Linked issue' feature if there's a need to involve another team (e.g. in case a ticket can't be resolved by the support team and requires developer's assistance). 
Another case is when a ticket created not in the 'right' service desk project and needs to be addressed by a completely different team . In this case we use 'Move' feature.

Important detail is that our service desk agents who create linked issues and move issues between project - are all have access to those service desk and jira-dev projects .

@Josh LoweryJosh , I wonder if it works in your case where you do NOT want to give permissions to everybody in *both* projects.

Please share your experience.

Thank you!

Like DM likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events