Is there a way to export more than 1000 issues in jira?

I'd need to export about 3k issues in jira and I was wondering if there is a way to do that(even in different excel files).

PS: I have jira cloud.

Thanks

7 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Alexey Matveev Community Champion Oct 29, 2017

It is not possible out of the box, but you can try to create a simple application, to export tickets using REST.

https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/#api/2/search-search

Thanks everyone I managed to export them with Alexey's workaround.

Legend :D

This is creating problem, they should allow this.

Exporting large numbers of issues is creating a problem (when you go higher, the export affects the performance of the system), and in fact usually indicates a broken process as well. 

You should be looking at why you think you want large exports and fix that.

I have project with issues more than 1000 and need excel to create my own MIS on TAT, pending / resolved issues per team member etc. I think 1000 is very low number if it is related to performance.

Not a clue what "MIS on TAT" might be, but it sounds like it needs to be written properly.  Either build reports for Jira, or get that system to ask better questions than just "dump a huge pile of issue data"

Thanks Nic, MIS are custom reports created by our reporting team based on data dump for projects. Jira has limited options of reports and any additional reporting needs additional component to be bought. My point here was even from dump view point, 1k looks very small number in today's world, you agree or not.

No, as doing reporting from a dump is the second worst way you can do reporting.  You're probably importing the data into a generalised tool like excel to do this, and I know from bitter experience that the error rate in excel sheets is between 90 and 99% if they've been built by a human rather than code.  When I see a report done in excel, I have no choice but to assume it is wrong.

I agree with Nic from the performance and Error point of view. But this is my data and I should be given options to chose from as long as it is convenient to me. This seems to be a trick to give a push to EazyBI which is not at all user friendly

I agree with Trimal, additionally EasyBI is additional cost for us.

Nilesh, Trimal,

As Nic already mentioned, the export affects the performance of the system (and thus the whole instance and the server), which is why all export requests are limited to a relatively small set.

I assume that Atlassian has set these limits to prevent performance issues resulting from many export requests. Atlassian is not putting limits to "make" you purchase other tools.

It is still possible to export all issues using the REST:API interface, which enables pagination and thus sequential access to all issues. The REST:API access is available to everyone. REST:API access is controlled, monitored and can be blocked if used improperly. And that applies to all the app Vendors on Atlassian Marketplace as well.

There are more than 60 apps on the Atlassian Marketplace for Cloud if you search for "export". eazyBI is not among "export" applications because it's not its purpose – there are many other apps better suited for this task.

If the sole purpose of exporting all issues is to use an external app for data analysis, I would have to agree with Nic again, it will not work very well. It is time-consuming, error-prone, inconsistent, and leads to many sources of "truth".

eazyBI is just one of many reporting apps available on Marketplace. Its sole purpose is to provide Jira users with a relatively simple, self-service tool for building custom Jira reports which are automatically updated, consistent, and provide a single source of "truth".

Hi Janis, I understand performance part of it, is Atlassian working on performance part for users to allow more than 1k records.

Can you provide reference for REST:API which allows to export all issues, also if you can suggest any cost effective Marketplace components which allows to export data.

Nilesh,

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a reference for an exact REST:API code (I'm not a developer). 

1) A relatively simple and free workaround is what Alexey Matveev already suggested (You just have to add one pagination parameter to export the next batch of issues):

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/export-more-than-1000-issues-to-excel-from-issue-navigator-in-jira-cloud-779160811.html

2) I could not find any free-apps that would let you export all issues at once. For that, you might need a paid app. You could try these:

* Exporter- Export Issues to Excel CSV PDF

* Advanced Export

3) The third alternative is to try to build a simple REST:API CLI app with only one purpose - to download issues. The Jira Cloud REST:API documentation can be found here:

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/rest/

Nope, they've no plans to do anything about the 1000 limit. 

Gregor mentioned the REST API already, which allows for paging through the results.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 13, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

Jira Service Desk – Don’t be afraid, the journey begins with curiosity!

...be more productive while being fun to use at the same time. For some, getting started can be a bit intimidating. This is especially true if Jira Service Desk is your first exposure to Atlassian...

10,723 views 9 28
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you