Is it possible to prevent a customer from adding themselves as an Approver?

Deleted user January 24, 2018

Background:  We have a few requests which require the customer to manually select their manager as an approver. 

Problem: A request just came through in which the customer added themselves as an approver and approved the request.  Is there any way to prevent a customer from adding themselves as an approver during the request creation process?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ivan Tovbin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2018

Hi Patrick,

No, unfortunately you can't do that with basic Jira functionality. 

However this can be done using a 3rd party addon like ScriptRunner, Power Scripts or JMWE. They allow you to configure a scripted validator that will compare an issue's 'reporter' and 'approver' field values. If those values match each other, then it won't let your customer to transition the issue to approval status.

Deleted user January 30, 2018

Thanks for the reply, Ivan.  We weren't looking to add any additional add-ons at this time but may need to reconsider in the future if this becomes a bigger problem.  For now we've instructed the agents to simply cancel any requests in which the reporter assigns themselves as an approver.

1 vote
Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2018

Hi Patrick,

It was a big audit concern for us as well.  We used Scriptrunner to set the "Approvers" and the last step was to remove the reporter from that list...

What should really happen is that Atlassian should have looked at the conditions on the workflow step for approval so you could just put in there "Not reporter".  I tested that out did not work.

But weirdly if you expose a workflow step on the portal for the customers it DOES look at the workflow conditions for that step.  Found that out the hard way.

Susan

Deleted user January 30, 2018

Thanks for the reply, Susan.  I agree that adding such a workflow condition would have been a great idea as this seems like a major loophole in any approval cycle.

0 votes
Evgeniy Russkikh January 25, 2018

Not sure you can do this with out-of-the-box Jira. But it is pretty easy with some plugins. For example, I'm using Power Scripts for Jira, which let me add scripted validators, so i can validate whatever i want

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events