Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal and External Projects but some request types are the same

Lindsay Siurna October 27, 2019

Hi, 

I am new to JIRA Service Desk and have been doing a lot of research into the Atlassian documentation and community responses.  I have about 40 Request Types - 10 are internal only, 20 are external only and 10 could be requested by both groups.

From my reading, it looks like the best solution is to create an internal service desk project and portal and external service desk project and portal and incorporate into the agent workflow that they need to use the special unassigned filter that crosses both projects when they are looking for what needs to be picked up to work on.

I have 3 questions based on this:

1. Does this setup work well for you?

2. One thing I didn't mention before is we have one email address used by both internal and external people.  I can't setup the same email for both projects though or I will get duplicate tickets...any ideas on what to do?  Just automatically create tickets for the external project and move tickets created based on an internal email to the internal project?

3. What about the request types that are accessible by both groups?  Should they just be visible in the external portal and internal people have to make those requests from there?

Thanks for your help.

Lindsay

1 answer

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 27, 2019

@Lindsay Siurna 

Separate the internal and external projects and make sure that only people added as customers in the project are actual customer via the customer permission page. I suggest this because it ensures that externals don’t raise tickets in the wrong project.

You MUST NOT use the same incoming mail for 2 service desk projects simply because it becomes a race condition on which email handler processes the email first. You may be able to sort of workaround this with an add-on like JETI(not sure if it exists on Cloud though).

The request types visible to both should be in a third project. Saves you a lot pf headache of people worrying where they should raise particular tickets. Make the portal clear and this shouldn’t be a big problem .

Cheers.

Lindsay Siurna November 6, 2019

Thank you.  How do you find the workflow when using 2 projects?  Do the same agents use both projects?  Is it confusing?  Any tips on making it easier?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events