Import CSV file

Aftab_Akhtar April 15, 2019

HI, 

I am trying to import new issues in to Jira service desk from out current helpdesk we are using at the moment via a CSV file. 

the issue i am having is that the issue key is not importing unless the numbers match an existing 'test' issue i have created. 

for example i put in the number 3 as the issue key, if there is a test issue created with the number 3 in the issue key it will import. however, if not the import will fail. 

i have tried importing without the issue key field and it fails. it seems like i need the issue key but it wont let me import new issues. 

Can anyone advise please?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2019

Hi @Vishwas @Aftab_Akhtar ,

Sorry for the late reply.

JIRA should not need issue key when performing a CSV import(especially from external system import).

The issue key is only required when you are updating an existing issue.

Hence:

1. Ensure in your CSV that the issue key is not one of the available headers.
  2. Ensure there are no linked issues being imported.
  3. Ensure there are no sub-task issues being imported.

For linked issues and sub-tasks JIRA would expect the issue key of the ticket you are linking them to and in this case, I would suggest performing your import in two phases:

1. Import the main issues that have no linked issues or sub-tasks as well as parent issues of sub-tasks.
  2. Import the sub-tasks stating the issue key of the parent.

You could attempt importing to an empty project as suggested by @Vishwas but if there are any issues with a linked issue that have not been created yet then you would run into the above issue again.

You can read more about CSV import here.

Do let me know if you need further help.

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 18, 2019

Hello @Aftab_Akhtar 

If you are doing External System Import create a Empty project and import the data there and issue key is not required in that case. Post upgrade Jira should create a new issue key for all issues in the new project you have created. 

0 votes
Ismael Jimoh
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2019

Hi @Aftab_Akhtar 

Firstly how are you importing the issues:

• Bulk create(The import from CSV option found under the issues option in the main menu)?
  • External System Import?

I can advise more how to proceed after knowing this first. To my knowledge, JIRA should attempt creating the issues even when you do not add the issue key, because it will attempt following the issue key of the project you are importing to.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hi @Ismael Jimoh i am importing via the external system import. 

0 votes
Vishwas
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2019

Hello Aftab,

Try with providing project key along with a serial number for the issue.Then it should work.

For example consider my project name "Test Project" with key as "TP" , in the csv file provide each issue with a unique issue key like "TP-1" , TP-2" ,, so on and try importing it.

Thanks

Vishwas

Hi @Vishwas ishwas 

i tried that. so my project key is ISL.

in the issue key i put in ISL-3 it will import because i have a test issue that already exists with an issue key of 3. 

however, lets say i do ISL-5, that import will fail as there is not an existing issue with the number 5. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events