Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Identifying a CC in an email to incorporate in an automation rule

Paul Neat March 5, 2018

I am receiving automated emails in Jira and creating automation rules to process - prioritize, close, etc. issues based on the email subject line and who sent it.  Is it possible to identify the CC of an email to make an automation rule.  For example, if an email address - johnsmith@co.com is CC's on email, close the issue?  I have tried writing a rule for the Description and Summary and have not been successful.

I am using Jira Service Desk - cloud

Thanks,

Paul

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 6, 2018

Hi Paul,

I did some testing here, and I think it is possible to do this with automation, but it might be somewhat tricky to do.  I will try to explain in more detail. 

I started in my Jira Service Desk cloud project, and created an automation rule specific to that project.  This was a custom rule type.  In my rule I selected the trigger to be "Participant added to issue" and then set a condition to use the advanced JQL string of "Request paricipants"="example_user@example.com"

When doing this you can then set the action to be a transition.  In my case I choose a transition called "Resolve the issue" which will resolve the issue.

My automation rule looks like this:

exautorule2.png

And I can confirm, when I then emailed back to the creation of a ticket, and added that specific email address as a CC to the message, Jira Service Desk did transition this issue into the correct transition as per this rule.

The reason this works is because Service Desk is automatically going to add users in the CC field of an email to the 'request participants' field of an issue, provided that user already has an account on this service desk, or the service desk is setup to create new accounts for such interactions.   This is one way you could probably make this work. 

Just understand that this would not only work for email processing, but it is possible if someone in the customer portal or the main Jira site adds that specific user to the requested participants it too would trigger this automation rule.  It is not specifically geared only towards email processing of messages.

Does this help?

Paul Neat March 6, 2018

Thank you Andrew!  I appreciate your help and this makes good sense.  I will give it a try.

Much appreciated.

Paul

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events