Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to sync fix versions in JSD from Jira Software?

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 24, 2019

Imagine this scenario:

1. Support issue created
  2. It got linked to a bug in a different project
  3. That bug was assigned a fix version
  4. I have Automation for Jira (A4J) set to copy the fix version from the bug to the support ticket.

What's the problem?

The versions in a given Jira project must be manually set in JSD as well.

If JSD doesn't have the same versions, A4J will not edit the support ticket.

Despite the log showing that it was successful, the support ticket's fix version field will remain empty.

This will only work if JSD has the same version added to the JSD project as in whatever Jira project issue is linked to.

Is there a workaround?

Any help is appreciated.

image.png

2 answers

0 votes
Hanna_Kukharenka April 19, 2021

Hi Gil, did you solve your problem? I am struggling with the same scenario. As of now i cannot make automation to create the fix version in another project with the same name as was on the trigger issue.

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2021

Hi @Hanna_Kukharenka ,

I solved it by creating a workaround because Jira Software and JSD are not sharing the same FixVersion values.

You have to create a separate automation rule that does this:

When creating a fix version in Jira, create the same fix version in JSD.

It needs to be a global rule that applies to both projects. That means, restrict the rule to run only on the projects you need. Usually one JSW and one JSD.

image.png

Once this rule executes, then you won't have an issue copying the fix version between your projects.

Mind you, this is not really copying, it is simply selecting a value from a list of existing values (fix versions) as long as your rule condition is met.

Usually, your rule condition is to "copy" the fix version if there's a mismatch between two linked tickets.

0 votes
Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2019

Ok, I solved it... if anyone is interested.

I was missing this:

image.png

What is not clear is what happens if the fix version already exists.

Brydie McCoy (CB)
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2019

Hi Gil,

If the version already exists, then we will just make the existing version available via the {{version}} smart value.  So further steps in your rules don't have to worry about whether it's a new or existing version.

Cheers,
Brydie

Like Gil likes this
Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 24, 2019

Hi @Brydie McCoy (CB) 

Thanks for your reply.

It's actually a bit more involved than that. I raised a support ticket in your website.

The following scenarios are not working or cannot figure out how to do so:

1. If a linked issue has more than 1 version in the fixVersion field, and those fixVersions do not exist in JSD, create each version as a unique entry. Instead, A4J creates one entry with concatenated versions, 1.2.0, 1.3.0 will be just one entry in the Version screen, instead of having each one as a separate entry.

2. If a linked issue has more than 1 version in the fixVersion field and one or more versions are removed, then remove the same values from the linked JSD issue.

3. How to copy the description, startDate and releaseDate?

:)

I read the blogs and the smartValues to use on your website, but it wasn't working for me.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events