Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to open only one project to any customer?

Matthew Dillman March 22, 2019

Important details:

Multiple projects using JIRA Service Desk.  Our instance is Cloud not Server.

As the IT Manager, I add all new employees as portal customers using the IT JSD project

All projects are secured to only allow customers on our site to access.  We are a medical company and must be secure to prevent patient data loss.

A new project will actually have a need to allow non-employees (individuals who have not had and will not have a portal customer account created) to open tickets.

Current global customer permission settings do not allow customers to create their own account.

In order to allow non-employees to open tickets for this new project, it is my understanding that I have to allow customers to create their own requests.  When I do this, the project customer permission setting for "Anyone with an account on https://....atlassian.net" goes away.  My only security option is "Customers my team adds to the project".

Based on the wording of this, I did a test.  I added a customer account to the IT project as I always do.  I then tried to login to the portal for our HR department.  I had no access.  Therefore it seems that my portal customers (98% of my company) would only be able to open tickets in the IT portal if I setup one project to allow non-employees to open a ticket.

Please tell me I'm missing something because that sounds like a horrible approach.  Thank you in advance.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 25, 2019

Hi Matthew,

In order to allow people outside the organization to open tickets, you must allow them to create their own accounts, which you already did and the option "Anyone with an account" does not appear anymore because people outside, who doesn't have an account will have the ability to create the account when they send an email or when they access the customer portal.

If you let the option "Customers my team adds to the project", when they send an email to create a ticket, the ticket will not be created and it will generate an error in the logs, because the option "Anyone can send a request via the portal or support@domain.atlassian.net" must be enabled in this case and also that's why you saw the error that you didn't have access to the portal.

Just to clarify that, if you have 10 projects, 9 are closed to "Customers my team adds to the project" and 1 is set to "Anyone", people that have an account on this 1 project won't have the ability to see the other 9 projects to create requests in the customer portal.

Hope this clarifies.
If you have any other question or concerns, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Matthew Dillman March 25, 2019

Thank you for the reply Angélica.  If I'm understanding you properly, the other 9 projects still do not just allow those in the Portal Only Customers.

I don't think I mentioned it in my original post, but the entire reason for this is to post a widget.  I actually just noticed the Issue Collector option in the Project Settings.  Could this be used to collect Bug information from "Anyone" without changing my security settings?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2019

If you use Issue Collector you can let your project closed, it's not necessary to change the security options I sent on my previous comment.
The issue collector has a default reporter, so it won't be necessary for customers to create their accounts and also they won't need a customer portal.
Please, check the documentation for more details:
-Using the issue collector

Matthew Dillman March 27, 2019

This is exactly what I need.  Thank you!

Like Angélica Luz likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events