Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to display recent tickets from same user in ticket screen?

Joachim G. July 20, 2017

Hi all,

We are using JIRA SD for some weeks now. To better answer to our needs, our process is e-mail based (we don't advertise about the portal, it's even not accessible to external users).

One of the thing we experience with an helpdesk e-mail address is a significant number of duplicated ticket from same user (sending twice same e-mail, asking same question 2h after before because the first one has not been answered yet, etc...)

In order to quickly spot duplicated tickets and avoid waste of time (especially if they are processed separately by 2 different agents), we were thinking about displaying in the ticket view (probably on the right side) the open / recent tickets from the same user.

I know automatic query links exist in the "customers" menu but it's another view and several extra clicks to get the info. Any idea how we could do that?

Surprisingly I have found any similar request, maybe I didn't use proper wording.

Thanks for your help!
Joachim

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2017

Joachim,

I'm unsure what you mean by ticket view but let's come back to that after we discuss the root cause of the customer being impatient (?) and opening duplicate tickets. JSD out of the box should be automatically replying to the customer when the ticket is open. Make sure that is happening so that at least the customer is made aware that their ticket has been received. Further, if there are certain customers that are the culprit I recommend over communicating w/ them by sharing a comment early on like "your issue has been assigned to an agent and is being investigated".

Now to your question of being able to better identify duplicates there are a couple of ways I would recommend.

• Within the JSD Queues screen - if you don't have an 'all open' queue then create one and have it ordered by customer
  • In the Issues search screen create a filter for all open and order by customer and then subject or similar

is this what you are looking for?

Joachim G. July 20, 2017

Hi Jack,

Thanks a lot for taking some time to answer my question.

What I call the ticket view is the "issue view" (where you read content and process the ticket).

Actually it's not much I can do about weird customers, yes they receive a confirmation immediately but still it happens regularly that some of them "spam" us. We also have a contact form in the application that sends automatically an e-mail (to be improved soon with some JIRA integration) and some users will use it several time.

I raised the "duplicate" concern but there is also an interest to see recent tickets from the customer (not only duplicate) in case there is a direct link between the new question / issue with previous ones. It's also a way to spot the one-ticket-a-day customers and so on.

Your proposals are correct and useful but are limited to the "find duplicate" case and now that I have clarified my request, maybe you better get the idea?

Basically, if I would design it I would create a "section" on the right side of the issue view called "Recent tickets from the Reporter" listing: ID, type, summary, creation date. Does that exist already? in some add-on? Is it difficult to do?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2017

Joachim,

so there is no way to include other issues on the issue view screen w/o customizing the code. I would highly recommend a dashboard for this. There is all sorts of ways to put something together depending on the number of customers you have. Too I would expect that not all customers are so impatient as to spam w/ duplicates so you could even have filtered list gadget for the spammers. You could even create a group call spammers and add/remove members as appropriate.

I don't understand why the filters list is limited to duplicate identification. To illustrate, if I create a simply filter for all open issues in a given project and sort by customer I will see all issues (except closed) regardless of age.

Good luck!

Joachim G. July 20, 2017

Thanks Jack.

We have continuously new customers contacting us, that's also the main reason to rely on e-mail because it's much lighter than the portal for the users (that potentially will work with us in a very limited scope and time range).

You are right that filters will be fully ok for my request, I'm sure of this and I can even build it easily. My problem is more in the integration of the result in the issue view to make it efficient. And your answer is clear => customization.

If there is no existing plugin for that, what would you recommend as easiest way to get that done? How difficult is your evaluation for this type of development?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2017

I will leave the customization question to others that is beyond my skills and desire so can't help here. :-(

BTW, there may be a plugin that would help but I don't know of one and would be surprised.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events