Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I configure the allowed E-Mail size for Service Desk?

Robert Tietze July 26, 2018

My problem is, that we are using the service desk for our sales/service staff which are on the road and instead of sending regular emails we would like to handle all requests with service desk. The main issue we are facing though is that they send small video clips and pictures of what they see. Every once in a while they get 

host
inbound-smtp.us-east-1.amazonaws.com[xxxxx] said: 552 5.3.4
Message is too long. (in reply to end of DATA command)

Do you have any suggestions where I can configure the jira service desk mail handler?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 27, 2018

Hi Robert,

Looks like you're actually getting an error message from AWS. Amazon's SES mail service which you appear to be using has a hard limit of 10 mb emails. Gmail supports 25mb as an alternative.

Jira also has a 10mb attachment limit by default, but this can be increased. If you wind up on a different mail service that provides higher attachment limits, here are the instructions for increasing the attachment limit size in Jira.

And as a general note - depending on compression settings, those short video clips could be rather large. It's worth investigating the file size to see if going from a 10mb limit email service to 25mb would even make a difference - if the rejections are all 50mb+, there's not much point to using a different service.

Hope that clarifies things!

Cheers,
Daniel

Robert Tietze July 30, 2018

Thanks @Daniel Eads for helping me out!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events