Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Add Fields to an Issue Type?

Jeff Sparks May 9, 2018

I have created a Request Type with and Issue Type of 'Change'.  I am wanting to add Fields.  When adding Fields, the selection window tells me:

Showing available fields from the linked issue type: Change

You can add fields to this issue type by editing the create screen for this project.

So my question is where is the create screen for me to add Fields to this Issue Type?

6 answers

2 accepted

33 votes
Answer accepted
Conor_Hattwell-Leach October 20, 2019

I went bananas trying to figure this one out. Not only does the field have to be enabled in the screen scheme, but the field itself needs to be associated to right configuration scheme context.

This was in admin settings > issues > custom fields > [your field] ... > configure > edit configuration > select the applicable issue types

Kyle Kendall October 23, 2019

WINNER WINNER!!!  Thank you so much!

Jade Dorynek December 3, 2019

Second that "thank you" - I was ready to pull my hair out trying to figure this out!

Yod December 16, 2019

Very helpful, thank you

andre_coelho January 29, 2020

You are my hero

Boris February 9, 2020

tnx bro

ColinB May 5, 2020

Thanks for this!

pallavi chaudhari June 4, 2020

Thank you - this worked on the first attempt .

Yi-hsiu Lee July 14, 2020

Got lost at the > configure part...

Like John.Traner likes this
Maximilian Ruehle October 7, 2020

God, thanks dude.

Like pallavi chaudhari likes this
Maria Kourousi October 20, 2020

Thank you <3

Joel Van Blommestein October 31, 2020

Thank you SO MUCH!!!

Wlad Franco-Valias November 30, 2020

Thank you! I couldn't understand why two issue types, associated with the same screen and field configuration scheme displayed differently. One showed the custom field while the other did not.

allie ruby April 22, 2021

SOMEBODY GIVE THIS MAN AN AWARD

petro_zubko November 16, 2021

God bless you,man

Whitni Smith February 16, 2022

It's absurd 2.5 years later and someone is STILL looking for this answer. Someone is me. Thanks for this. 

Like Chris Willis likes this
Lachlan Bunter March 29, 2022

yup. Me too.

Samuel Spain May 9, 2022

Thank for you for the great answer.

Divyansh Mago May 23, 2022

I got lost at configure as well... did anyone found a solution ? maybe they have removed that option in newer version?

2 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 9, 2018

Hello,

You should go to the project settings and find the Screens menu. You will see screen schemes for issue types there. Choose the required screen scheme and enter the Edit mode. You will see there the Create screen.

Richard Ryu August 15, 2018

Thanks Alexey,

We use the server version of JIRA. The process you described above should apply for the server version 7.3.3 as well right? If I still don't see "edit" mode, is this because I don't have the admin access? 

Like Jason Diaz likes this
3 votes
GLN Hostmaster December 29, 2020

I just did a migration from Server to the Cloud, and I was stuck on this part for a few hours. So frustrating BIG TIME! After seeing this message, it was much easier. I am guessing the wording is a little bit different for the Cloud version at the last steps. 

admin settings > issues > custom fields > [type your field that you want to add] > Click 3 dots > Context and default value > edit configuration > Then select the applicable issue types

Good Luck. :)

1 vote
Richard Ryu November 26, 2018

1. Find "Issues" under Administration

2. Select "Screen Schemes" from the left section of your screen (should be a sub-menu under Screens)

3. Locate the Screen Scheme that you want and then click "configure"

Note: Make sure that your screen scheme is assigned to your issue type

4. You should be at "Configure Screen Scheme" page now. From here, instead of clicking on 'edit', click on the hyper link under the 'Screen' column.

5. Scroll to the bottom and locate the field that you want to add.

Let me know if this works for you. 

0 votes
Wikpol March 7, 2019

This is rather easy task. You should add field then add this field to newly created screen then add it to screen scheme and then associate it with Issue type and for the project. I'm struggling with doing the same thing for one issue but all projects. There is also Add new context option when you go to your custom field but you need to specyfic Issue Type and Project so that is no good for me. Any advice??

0 votes
Hayden October 9, 2018

Hi Jeffrey,

Did you get an answer to this question?

I have exactly the same problem.  Where is the create screen?? How do you add Fields to an Issue Type?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events