Hide Project from Portal - but everyone shall send an email

Hi there,

is it possible to hide a projects portal / a project from the portal BUT still allowing everyone to send an email to create an issue? (So EVEN users who are not part of the organization or not yet created in that particular project?)

Thanks in advance

Best regards
Simon

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Jack Brickey Community Champion Aug 07, 2017

@Simon Kulessa, is this the only project on the portal? If so you don't have to share the portal with them. However, I suspect you want to have some projects on the portal while others are hidden? Have you tried hiding all issue types from portal? I'm unsure how that would appear but might be worth a try.

Hi Jack,

no unfortunately this doesn´t help. I can still see the service desk portal/project - but now there aren´t any request types specified :D (so it seems as it would be empty)

Regards
Simon

Yes that is what i would expect, i.e. That the portal still exists but empty. From your response I deem that as unacceptable solution. What exactly is your end goal for the portal? Are your customer to have access to some projects but not others? Do you simply not plan to use the portal at all? Are some customer to have access to all projects while other have access to some?

The scenario is the following:

Some users will use the portal while some other users will use the mail channel. We have some companies with several 1000 users and these users are used to send an e-mail to a specific address. This e-mail is now part of the service desk. 

Now the service desk users/customers from company A shall not see the projects for company B. To let our agents create every user and add them to a organization is unfortunately unacceptable (because of the high number of users). 

I hope our use-case is clearly now? :)

I'm going to be tied up for a few hours but will try to get back to you here later. You may wish to read up on Atlassian's documentation in the mean time. Here is an article to start with - https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/set-up-customer-permissions-732528940.html

Hi Simon, 

I've got the same issue you have, separating projects per client (at least visually) without need to create all users on Jira side. Seems linked to this topic:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/JIRA-Service-Desk-questions/FATAL-Service-Desk-customers-can-access-other-customer-s-portal/qaq-p/104037

Hi,

my main problem is - if we define that only users within the organization or with a valid JIRA account can create a request - then our mail channel wouldn´t work as required. 

We need to let everyone create issues via mail (users that not yet have a JIRA acccount) BUT ALSO hide the projects in the project list/portal project list :( - Otherwise our service desk agents would have to create lots of users and that sometimes quite often :(

Regards
Simon

To make it more clear:

We´ve about 10 Service Desk projects. 5 of them have to be visible/reachable via e-mail - so these Service Desk projects can be seen by anyone (e.g. the users in the other service desks). 

Is there no way to hide these projects, even when they´re available for everyone via mail?

Nobody?

Jack Brickey Community Champion Aug 15, 2017

@Simon Kulessa,

sorry, i had forgotten about this request. It has been a busy time for me. In any event the issue here is around your desire to separate, and treat differently, accessibility to a project between portal and email. Unfortunately this is not possible (AFAIK). This becomes evident in the project settings>customer permissions screen where you control access. 

Who can access the portal and send requests to Fortress IT Support?

The fact that there isn't an option here to provide access based upon portal independently from email would seem to say that you goal is not achievable natively. 

I would recommend visiting Atlassian's JIRA tracking instance for JSD project suggestion of choice (cloud or server) and search for similar request OR open a new suggestion.

Maybe other's will provide a more desirable response. 

Best of luck!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 13, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

Jira Service Desk – Don’t be afraid, the journey begins with curiosity!

...be more productive while being fun to use at the same time. For some, getting started can be a bit intimidating. This is especially true if Jira Service Desk is your first exposure to Atlassian...

9,340 views 9 28
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you