Getting "invalid server ID" when trying to retrieve Jira Service Desk license

daniel.neal January 15, 2019

I have a Jira Core Server install and am trying to add Service Desk to the server. Everything is licensed correctly and working fine for Core. When I attempt to retrieve the Service Desk license, it asks me to put in server ID. I copy and paste it from the System info page (confirming no extra spaces before/after), and the page says "Invalid Server ID - Please try copying and pasting the Server ID directly from the product."

I see no way to get around this or to proceed with retrieving my license key. One thing that is interesting is that my server ID is not in the same format as the example (4 alpha - 4 numeric - 4 alpha - 4 numeric). Mine is 8 alphanumeric - 4 alphanumeric - 4 alphanumeric - 4 alpha numeric - 12 alphanumeric.

What can I do to get past this screen and get my Service Desk license?

4 answers

0 votes
CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

By the way, there is another instance of this exact mismatch on the string numbers not matching.

You are not alone. FYI

daniel.neal January 21, 2019

I came across this: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/changing-server-id-for-test-installations-285839562.html?_ga=2.2668341.429484134.1547753279-1015796387.1546894129

and believe it may be my problem. I do have a Cloud-to-Server migration, which is how I came across that article. I haven't had a chance to test this yet.

CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

Let me know how it goes, it does not seem intuitive, but I guess they want to keep the licenses secure and safe. :)

daniel.neal January 28, 2019

@CARLISLE@Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_Following the "changing server ID" instructions worked. I'm up and running now. Thanks for the help.

CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 28, 2019

Interesting issue and solution. Thanks for the update! Love knowledge sharing!

Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 29, 2019

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad you got it all sorted.

0 votes
CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

Your JSD and your JIRA instances might have to be the compatible versions. Atlassian builds their software to match exactly like most software teams. If there is a mismatch on the server side or client side, then there are issues.

Have you validated that they are both versions that are compatible?

daniel.neal January 17, 2019

The versions I have do not appear in the compatibility matrix, but based on previous versions it looks like they would be.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjira/jira-applications-compatibility-matrix-875304597.html

I have Core 7.12.3 and Service Desk 3.15.3 installed.

0 votes
CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

Are you using the mouse or CTRL C or CTRL V? Sometimes the data parses incorrectly with the mouse versus the keyboard.

Following your suggestion, I have now tried both keyboard and mouse methods and am getting the same error/result.

CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

Match the example exactly 4-4-4-4. 

How many exact spaces does the form allow?

My server ID is much longer than 4-4-4-4. It is 8-4-4-4-12. I don't know what parts should be cut off to match 4-4-4-4.

I was able to count the form allowing at least 30 characters.

CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

Has anyone else in your organization had access to this license? Is it a one time use license?

30 characters does not match either TOTAL. 

When you enter the data from 8-4-4-4-12 which two are you shorting on the string?

CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver073/license-compatibility-861253077.html

Note: The licenses must be compatible with any other existing licenses on the server. 

All of the licenses are commercial paid licenses, so based on that article I should be OK.

I have tried the last four from the first 8 and the remaining 3 4's. I can try all kinds of variations but without some kind of instruction I'm just testing random combinations to see what happens.

CARLISLE
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2019

Complicated.

I suggest at this point that you talk directly with the JIRA DBA and/or Product Support team. I am not certain if they do calculate this license code in house or they outsource to another third party. I am speculating, but I believe that they use a Random Number Generator (RNG) for the code. It is possible that the DBA changed the RNG calculation for some reason and the new calculation is a datatype mismatch?

0 votes
Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

Have a look in the Licenses tab in your My Atlassian account.

In the Licenses tab, I see all of my products listed (including Service Desk). When I expand Service Desk, there is a "View License" option. When I select that, it takes me to the page that asks for Server ID and won't accept my server ID.

Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

Daniel, you need to be a technical contact (or billing contact) to have access to the license.

Did you ever purchase the Service Desk license? Perhaps you have an expired Service Desk evaluation license.

I am a technical contact, and we bought the Service Desk license a few days ago. I am showing it as valid until 09/JAN/2020.

Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

That's great, perhaps you could try to retrieve the license from your database

Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

Just to be sure, did you ever activate your JSD license?

Our Accounts Payable department purchased the license and assigned it to me as a technical contact. I am now trying to view the license and am getting this Server ID message. I'm not sure how I would have activated the license, but it is possible that the AP dept did.

I don't need the license key for the Jira instance, I am trying to obtain a license key from the Atlassian website for the software we just bought but haven't used yet.

Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

You should be able to see the newly bought license in My Atlassian when you're a technical/billing contact.

The entered licenses can be found in Administration > Applications > Versions & licenses

here is the Atlassian Licenses tab.Untitled.png

When I click "View License" it takes me to this page and will not accept my server ID.Untitled2.png

Johan Soetens _Dumblefy_
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 15, 2019

Is your Jira Service Desk application actually installed in your Jira instance?

It is.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events