Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G-mail handler does not create tickets

Dimitris Athanasopoulos September 20, 2019

Hello,

After we updated JIRA Service Desk 4.2.4, the G-mail handler fails to create automatic tickets. Some of them created after we reply to the email as ticket RE: mail subject or duplicated on every reply.

Based on your request security, anyone can create a customer request via email.

According to the Mail audit log, we got some errors a few times but I'm not sure if it is related:

Couldn't connect to host, port: imap.gmail.com, 993; timeout 50000

BYE JavaMail Exception: java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 24, 2019

Hi Dimitris,

Sorry to hear that there appears to be problems with the mail handler here after an upgrade.  However I have not yet ran into any documented problems specific to that particular version upgrade.   Which would lead me to first believe that this problem is likely more specific to your particular environment here.

I would be interested to see if you can try to completely remove this mail handler from Jira, and then add it back.   If there is something unexpected happening, these steps could potentially correct this problem.  

If that doesn't help and you still see this problem, I would recommend that you turn on the DEBUG level logging for incoming mail to Jira.  Steps to do this are in Diagnosing Mail and Mail Handlers Issues.

The error you posted is interesting, but it doesn't yet have enough details yet to confirm if it is the problem.  There is a KB that might be related here in MessageRemovedException in Log Files During Incoming Email Processing.  It half matches that error, but are you also seeing a stacktrace such as:

atlassian-scheduler-quartz1.clustered_Worker-4 ERROR ServiceRunner    SysOps Reply [atlassian.mail.incoming.mailfetcherservice] SysOps Reply[10121]: Exception: null
javax.mail.MessageRemovedException

If so, then this messageRemovedException would tend to indicate that there might be more than one Jira site currently trying to use that specific mailbox.  If that happens, say because you wanted to test out an upgrade in a staging site, it could potentially explain why this happened right after an upgrade.  Check to see if perhaps you have a staging instance of Jira running that is also connected to this mailbox.   Disabling the mail handler there would correct the problem in that KB.

Alternatively, if you don't know where that mailbox might be accessed from, you could try to change the email password in Gmail, and then update your Jira with the correct login as a means to try to troubleshoot this.

Please let me know the results.

Andy

Dimitris Athanasopoulos October 1, 2019

Hey Andy.

Thank you for your time and tips.

Feel free to close the ticket.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events