Forwarding an email from one address to another - then creating a JSD ticket

Gavin Johnson June 20, 2018

Hey,

I've a convoluted question regarding creating tickets via email using Jira Service Desk.

• user = person with a problem to report
  • emailAccount1 = customer success email account
  • emailAccount2 = technical support email account

As a company with 2 email addresses for users to interact with - legacy issue!

I’m having an issue with the user not receiving customer notifications and not becoming the tickets reporter after forwarding an email from them in emailAccount1 to emailAccount2

In an ideal world this is what I would like to happen:

•  I would like to be able to forward an email from the user from emailAccount1 to emailAccount2
  • This would then create a ticket as emailAccount2 is configured to do so in my Jira Service Desk project
  • I would like the user to be the ticket reporter and receive the relevant customer notifications, not emailAccount1

If the above is impossible, then is it possible for the user receive the customer notifications?

I've already tried numerous scenarios of what has been answered here.

Many thanks for any help you can offer!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2018

Thanks for the detailed description. 

As the referenced thread indicates, the only way to get “user” to be reporter would be for the agent to update the issue. However if the “user” is on the CC they should be added as a participant as the other thread conveys. 

What you lose in this scenario:

• visability of who reports issues - everything shows “emailaccount1” as reporter
  • ability to leverage JSD statuses and automation to interact with the customer. Reference “waiting for customer” status
  • inability of the customer “user” to leveraged the portal to transition issues, e.g. resolve or reopen

Thanks for this @Jack Brickey. I haven't been able to get the CC suggestion to work though. The reporter field isn't editable for me either.

@Jack Brickey

To clarify (so I know I'm not messing up):

emailAccount2 should be in the to field

user should be in the cc field

@Jack Brickey when adding the user to the cc field when forwarding the email from emailAccount1 to emailAccount2 I don't have them added to the ticket as a Request Participant

Sorry for the spam.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 20, 2018

Is the "user" in the CC of the 'create-email', i.e. the message from EA1 to EA2? 

how are customer permissions configured for sharing? See image. if you aren't using Organizations try what I illustrate.

email cc.jpg

here is a snippet from Atlassian documentation:

Add participants via email 

If you create or respond to a request via email, add a request participant's email address in the TO or CC fields. The participant receives an email notifying them that they have been added.

Customers can add individual participants if they have permission to share requests. If the customer is in one organization, their request is shared automatically. Customers who are in more than one organization can't share requests with an organization via email.

@Jack Brickey this is amazing, thank you!

After some testing, the user gets the same functionality as if they had sent the email to emailAccount2.

Thanks again

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 20, 2018

glad to assist. please accept the answer by clicking check mark by the vote icon.

Nick Heurter February 2, 2021

Hi @Jack Brickey ! I try to accomplish the exact same thing, but I don't know where to find this setting: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/24982i3A03AFC7D476BA13/image-dimensions/385x126?v=1.0. 

Could you please help me out? I'm currently looking under Project > Client Permissions and I have the following setting (in Dutch):

But when I forward and email from my client to Jira Service Management and I add this client to the CC, then the client doesn't receive any emails from Jira. So what am I doing wrong? :) 

Thanks already for your help!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events