It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Expose Service Desk Backlog to Customers

We have multiple JIRA Service Desk projects set up, where our customers can file feature requests and bug reports. These requests then map to issues in multiple JIRA Software projects for engineers to implement. We've set it up this way because we have multiple engineering teams working on multiple products, and we want our customers to have visibility into their requests without seeing the requests of other customers (or the individual engineering team's backlog).

We would like the ability to have the Customers view and prioritize their own backlogs, preferably as a screen in the Customer Portal (but I would take anything I can get). However, I can't seem to find a way to enable this. Is there a way to do so, or will I have to purchase a license for each customer who should have access to view and prioritize the backlog? This seems like a valid workaround, although we'd prefer to continue to leverage the free customer accounts if possible. In fact, if there's a way for the free Customer user to simply view the backlog, I think that would suffice.

1 answer

0 votes
miikhy Community Leader May 22, 2018

Hi There,

My recommendation would be to have the browse project permission given to anyone + a public Jira. This way all customers (including anonymous users though) could access the backlog. If you need to hide some stuff for internal work, you can leverage the issue security levels! I remember we used a similar way or working with one of my previous company, it worked quite well!

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Thanks, Micky. Unfortunately, I don't think our customer will be willing to have their request queue open to the public. Since it doesn't seem currently possible to have the backlog viewable only to JIRA licensees and Service Desk Customers, I think we'll have to have each customer designate a single user who we will purchase a license for. 

miikhy Community Leader May 22, 2018

Have you considered working with Organizations? It would, at least, allow your customers to access request from their colleagues... I guess you'll have to manage security levels here :/

Best luck!

Yes, I've set up Organizations as part of the Customer Portal (and restricted access based on the Orgs) but I haven't fully explored the functionality. I'll take a look at the documentation, thank you again!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira Service Desk

Tell us how you've implemented Change Management

Hello Community 👋, I'm a product manager at Atlassian, looking at improving change management capabilities across our products. In particular, we're looking at bridging the gap between Dev & ...

299 views 0 6
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you