Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email replies are creating new tickets instead of adding as comments

Alisha Garrett August 7, 2018

When customers reply to a notification sent from the Service Desk portal (such as portal@company.com) the replies are creating new tickets instead of adding as comments even though the issue key is in the subject line.

When customers reply to a notification sent from JIRA (such as jira@company.com) the replies are correctly added as comments.

How can I configure replies to the portal to add as comments instead of creating new tickets? 

Can I change the reply-to address for portal notifications to use jira@company.com?

We currently do not have a mail handler configured, is this the problem? 

Thanks for any help!

Server

Service Desk 3.9

Portal setting: Anyone can email the service desk or raise a request in the portal

No mail handler configured

3 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Alisha Garrett August 7, 2018

Figured out the issue, some customers did not have permission to comment on the issue in the project so a new issue was created instead.  I resolved this by adding "Anyone" to the "Add Comments" permission for the projects and now all customers' replies are being added as comments.

Adam Piechocki-Brown
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
December 21, 2018

Hi Alisha

Could you expand on how you did that?  I've tracked down the Add Comments permission in the Permission Scheme.  But Anyone does not seem to be an option.

thanks

Adam

Guido Leenders May 7, 2019

Hi Adam,

I've found Anyone when I select the "Group" radiobutton and then choose from the list "Anyone".

Rgds

Guido

Ayush November 27, 2019

Hi @Guido Leenders ,

Is the option Public?

I couldn't find anyone option under group

Thanks!

Guido Leenders November 27, 2019

Afraid I can't help. The user interface of Jira keeps changing all the time and it seems location-dependent.

Dan Anas
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 30, 2021

The 'Public' Option is the one that represents 'Anyone' as of today. Thank you for the guidance OP & @Alisha Garrett !
Customer Permissions Scheme - WGSD 2.JPG

Customer Permissions Scheme - WGSD.JPG

2 votes
Sofia Kargioti _QC Analytics_ January 12, 2022

Hi, 

Thanks for raising the issue @Alisha Garrett , that was really helpful! 

However I am experiencing the same issue. A customer replied to an email notification sent from jira@ourcompany.com and instead of adding the reply as a comment it created another Service Desk ticket.

I don't think it has something to do with permissions since the customer who replied to the email is the one that created the ticket in the first place. 

Any ideas why is this happening?

0 votes
Thomas Fozzi November 5, 2019

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem, but only when the issue is in state RESOLVED. This should exclude permission issues...

Any hints?

Thomas

Jessica Golden May 8, 2020

I remember a setting somewhere that says that once the comment is closed you can turn of commenting or prevent the ticket from reopening. It's possible that when they respond to the resolved status it isn't allowing commenting and it's simply creating a new ticket instead.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events