Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Detailed list of difference between Jira Service Desk Cloud "Classic" and "Next-gen" projects

Shannon October 4, 2019

We are currently implementing Jira Service Desk Cloud for our customer facing Service Desk. 

We need more detailed information about the difference than what is provided in the following article: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/what-are-jira-service-desk-next-gen-projects/

The article says Next-gen is "managed by project members" where classic is managed by jira admins. I want to know what that actually means when it comes to the functionality exposed to project members. 

I want that detailed level of information for all variances, but I can't seem to find discussions or support articles on the subject for Jira Service Desk Cloud. 

We are manually trying to figure out the differences currently. 

Anyone have notes on the variances they'd be willing to share? Pro's Con's of each type? Which you decided and why and do you have regrets?

2 answers

1 vote
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2019

Hi @Shannon

There's quite a lot of details down the right-hand side of that support article - is that insufficient detail on how Next-Gen works?

Ste

Shannon October 7, 2019

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_

Thanks for the response. The additional links on the right hand side are sufficient for configuration of Next-gen projects. However, that's not what I'm asking. 

I would like details comparing Classic with Next-Gen. For example, when the articles generally states "Managed by project members" what are the specific things project members are now empowered to do that they aren't in classic?

I would also like to know the features of Classic that aren't currently available in Next-Gen, and any other critical things to be aware of when selecting next-gen; i.e. You must use the default issue scheme, although the issue scheme doesn't seem to be used at all in Next-Gen; SLA's seem to be missing from next-gen as well as quick KB article info/links... this is big stuff. We are performing a detailed analysis now, but I was reaching out here to see if someone else has done this already and could share their results.

When we go live, we will very easily have thousands of tickets in short time, and if we make the wrong call, we are worried about having to switch and then losing our custom fields and sub tickets which appear to be issues within Jira Software when you move between Classic and Next-gen. We'll have to test to find out out what happens in Jira Service Desk since moving issues between classic and next-gen for JSD isn't documented. 

Like # people like this
Marie-Eve Bizier October 15, 2019

I would also like to know more about the features that aren't currently avalaible in Next-Gen and what to be aware of if we go on with a Next-Gen project. Thank you!

0 votes
Patricia Campos June 25, 2020

Any luck on getting an answer to this one?

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2020

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events