Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customize Welcome email for Customers and Agents

Rene C. [Atlassian Cloud Support]
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2019

As of Jira Service Desk 4.1 it is not possible to customize the welcome email for customers or agents. There is a feature request for this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-1386

What are the files that need to be modified to change these email's content? 

3 answers

4 votes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 11, 2019

After looking into it, the welcome emails are actually not a in a template file, but rather made out of a set of properties, very much like the translation strings. 

The properties of both Customer/Agent's welcome email are located within 2 files:

For English: open the file jira-servicedesk-x.x.x-REL-xxxx.jar (this is inside the servide desk ) and in the directory i18n you will find the file sd-i18n.properties. 

Inside that file, the following properties are the ones used for the welcome email for Customers:

sd.email.customer.invitation.subject=Welcome to {0}
sd.email.customer.invitation.title=Welcome to {0}!
sd.email.customer.invitation.content.description={0} has invited you to the <span class="{2}">{1}</span> portal
sd.email.customer.invitation.accept.button=Visit portal
sd.email.customer.invitation.email.signup.content.description=You have been granted access to <span class="{1}">{0}</span> portal
sd.email.customer.invitation.email.signup.content.description.plain.text=Congratulations! You have been granted access to {0} portal.\n\nPlease follow this link to set up your account: \n{1}
sd.email.customer.invitation.from.email.plain.text=Welcome to {0}!\n\n{1} has invited you to the {0} portal.\n\nFollow this link to accept the invitation:\n{2}

For Agents: the file is the same, but the properties are:

sd.email.agent.invitation.title=Welcome to Jira Service Desk!
sd.email.agent.invitation.description={0} has invited you to be an agent on
sd.email.agent.invitation.description.plain.text=Welcome to Jira Service Desk!\n\n{0} has invited you to be an agent on {1}\n\nFollow this link to accept the invitation:\n{2}
sd.email.agent.invitation.subject={0} has invited you to be an agent on {1}
sd.email.agent.invitation.accept=Accept invitation
sd.email.agent.invitation.invalid.token=Token is either expired or not valid
sd.email.agent.invitation.display.name.empty=Full name must not be blank
sd.email.agent.invitation.display.name.exceeded=Full name must be less than 255 character

For other languages: the files for other languages correspond to the translation files, which can be found in jira-servicedesk-application-x.x.x.jar in the directory i18n, you will find files with the same name as for english, with an extra denomination according to the language, for example, for German, you will find sd-i18n_de_DE.properties.

I still need to perform the tests for this changes, and will be adding my findings later, but it should be a good starting point for anyone looking to change this notification.

Atlassian Team
April 24, 2019

If you want steps on how to modify jar files correctly, you can check this documentation page: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/adding-custom-fields-to-emails-batched-notifications-968669988.html

Jousef June 8, 2020

Hey @Rene C. [Atlassian Cloud Support]

I stumbled upon your question here as I tried to find out how to disable these notifications, especially for customers.

To give a little background, we're using Service Desk in the company and have lots of teams working normally with it. Our user base is being fetched from a user directory outside of Jira. We also have teams that work in Jira Software only but need to receive emails that are being created as tickets in Jira. We're using a SD project to create these tickets and forward them to the respective Jira projects.

Every now and then, customers that haven't been added to the user base for some reason receive this email and are getting super confused as this SD project is purely being used as an internal tool.

Now I wondered, is it possible to make adjustments to one of these files so that it won't get sent for that specific project alone?
Or is it something that is always enabled? Is it possible to disable it for all projects?

Thanks for the great post, Rene, and all the best,
Jousef

NicoP September 1, 2020

Hi Rene,

What happens with the file sd-i18n.properties after having modified it and doing an Jira update/upgrade?

With other words, will the changes remain after a jira / service desk update or are the changes in this file being lost and need to be re-applied?

Martin Boehme
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2021

Hi @Rene C. [Atlassian Cloud Support]

Have you been able to test it?

I have tried altering the invitation text in Jira Service Management Data Center 4.14.1 but whatever I did, the default text would not chance.

Deleting Jira Cache, Plugin Cache, Re-Indexing, Restarting – nothing has worked.

Maybe you have some ideas?

1 vote
Jens Kisters __SeibertSolutions
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2020

Another question: I just looked at the language files you pointed at and can't find the last line of the notification there.

It reads (roughly translated) 
"Help/FAQ sent you this Message, powered by Jira Server Desk"

Where can that text be changed?

1 vote
Jens Kisters __SeibertSolutions
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 28, 2020

Is there also a way to modify the html template that is used to send the notifications, not just the text?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events