Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customer unable to respond to a ticket email once the agent has responded

Keith Schlotzhauer February 11, 2020

The ticket email the customer receives once an agent has responded is from a different email address than the service desk uses, so when the customer responds the email goes nowhere. 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2020

Hi @Keith Schlotzhauer 

That is correct, because the customer should be replying to the comment via the Customer Portal (website), not the email notification. It is an email notification with a link to the Portal. 

1. Did the customer raise a request via email or via the customer portal? 
  2. Has the customer being invited to the Customer Portal? 

-Mike

The customer raises the request through email. 

They can reply initially when the email is correct, but when the agent responds the email address the customer gets changes to just jira@<companyname>.atlassian.net as opposed to the support email of: support@<companyname>.atlassian.net

I should mention that it is only the 2nd time the agent responds that it changes the reply to email to  jira@<companyname>.atlassian.net

Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2020

Hi @Keith Schlotzhauer 

This problem of yours looks very similar to another issue I replied to: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Desk-questions/ticket-replies-come-with-the-wrong-email-sender/qaq-p/1278718?utm_source=atlcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=immediate_general_reply&utm_content=topic

What mail client is used on the Customer side? Outlook Client, Gmail etc? 

Have you tested this with Gmail (create a fake customer with a gmail account), send email to your support email address, get an agent to respond via the request in JSD, see if the Gmail customer is able to respond to the email notification and so on. Does the client make a difference? 

-Mike

Keith Schlotzhauer February 12, 2020

You've hit the nail on the head. It's a problem with the Office 365 Outlook Web client, it is ignoring the "reply-to" email and instead using the "From" address as the response. 

I tested successfully with Gmail and the downloaded Outlook client and the behavior performed properly.

What I did to work around this was to set a redirect mail rule in Exchange that if an email is going to jira@<companyname>.atlassian.net as opposed to the support email of: support@<companyname>.atlassian.net it will just redirect the email to the correct support@<companyname>.atlassian.net address.

thanks so much for your help!

Like # people like this
Mike Bowen
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 12, 2020

Awesome @Keith Schlotzhauer - maybe what you have done is helped the other chap on the link I shared. I'll share this link with them. 

We are all helping each other. Nice!

-Mike

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events