Customer Open Request search shows no tickets, but Any Status does

Aaron Watkins January 15, 2018

When logged in as a customer and I go to My Requests or All Requests, when "Open Requests" is selected, No Requests are found. 

2018-01-15_10-43-53.jpg

But if I switch to "Any Status", I can see my request.

2018-01-15_10-44-03.jpg

Any ideas as to what is happening is greatly appreciated.

2 answers

4 votes
Artjom Jensen May 15, 2018

Go to field configurations and check that "Resolution" is not hidden.

I had the same problem because I put "Resolution" to "hide". When I made it "Show", I could see my open requests again.

Aaron Watkins May 15, 2018

Artjom...you are my hero! I set Resolution to Show and users can see their requests now. Thank you so much for your help!!!

Artjom Jensen May 15, 2018

Hahaaa :D Thanks very much.

I'm so happy :)

jordan March 27, 2020

Excuse my ignorance, but where in Jira do you set Resolution to "show"?  It doesn't seem to be hidden in any of my screen schemes, but the My Requests still only defaults to "Open Requests" instead of "Any Status".

Thanks!

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2020

@jordan Go into the project settings -> Fields.  You can then click the pencil icon to edit the field configuration that project is using there to check that this field isn't hidden.  This screenshot is how you can get there in Server:

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 3.06.03 PM.png

If you're using Jira Cloud, the steps are essentially the same in Jira Cloud, but my screenshot might look slightly different, like this one:

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 3.11.17 PM.png

That said, if this field isn't hidden, there is another possible cause I was trying to explain in my answer below.  Which is that if you make the resolution field required, you could also have the same behavior here in Service Desk where requests are not showing as open. 

The reason for that is that making a field required in Jira then means that throughout the life of that issue, that field has to always have some value.  Resolution being a system field doesn't have this expectation, but Jira still let's you configure it that way if you want to.  Jira Service Desk has an expectation that a request will not have a resolution until it is actually closed, and so it's checking that field to figure out when to display requests in the customer portal as being open or closed.

I hope this helps.  Let me know either way.

Andy

Like jordan likes this
jordan March 27, 2020

Thanks so much for your detailed reply.  The Resolution Field is indeed not hidden in the screens.  Also, our version of Jira Service Desk (4.6.1) doesn't seem to allow you to Require (or un-Require) the Resolutions field.  Any other ideas?

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 27, 2020

Let's try this another way. Instead of looking at the project settings, let's find an example request where you expect it to be listed as open, and then let's view the corresponding issue in Jira.  So if for example the request has an issuekey of ABC-333, I would want to take a closer look at the URL $JiraSiteURL/browse/ABC-333

Specifically, let's look and see what the resolution field is set to on that issue. 

I suggest this approach because I think we can find the true cause in a better way. There are configurations in Jira that could be automatically setting resolution values, etc to cause this behavior.

If you can't find the resolution field there, use the Admin Helper to find the resolution field on this screen like so.

Screen Shot 2020-03-27 at 5.02.25 PM.png

jordan March 27, 2020

Hmm...The Resolution field is not hidden, but I'm still seeing the "Requests" section of the Customer Portal default to "Open requests" instead of "Any Status".  I'm pretty sure I'm just misunderstanding something basic here.  Thank you for your help.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
January 26, 2018

Hi Aaron,

That is a strange scenario to see.  I have been asking around about this question and from what I have been able to determine so far, I believe that these filters in the JSD customer portal are actually using the system field called 'resolution' that exists on every issue as a means to determine if an issue is actually opened or closed in that view. (IE: open issues have no resolution, and closed issues have some resolution value)

By default Jira uses this system field in a special way.  All issues in Jira use this field, and when the issue it created, it has no value for this field.  In the database for that issue, this field has a NULL value.  At least until such time that the issue is actually resolved and in turn it then gains some value for that field.

However we have seen Jira environments that have set in the field configuration for that project the 'resolution' field to be required.  When you do this, that field has to have some value for every stage of an issue.  That means from when the issue is created all the way through its life in Jira, it has to have some value for that field.  This in turn circumvents some of the built in function for Jira, Jira Software, and I believe this is also the case for Jira Service Desk not showing this issue via this view as well.

We have a helpful KB on this problem in regards to Jira/Jira Software over in UNRESOLVED showing up as a Resolution for Resolved issues.

Please let us know if this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events