Custom fields - how does multi-line custom text field work?

Irma Jansen March 27, 2019

I am supporting a team with the set up of Jira Service Desk. They want to add a lot  of custom fields to the Request form to ensure that the requester adds all necessary data while raising a request.

Those fields are not needed for reporting purposes and probably all need to be free text fields, which makes me a bit reluctant to add them as custom fields.

In the Jira Documentation I found the following:

Combine field content — If just want to make sure that someone remembers to enter some information, then consider a multi-line custom text field with a text template as a default value.

Unfortunately I have not been able to find an example of what this looks like. Can someone share more information with me? I do not have Jira Admin global permission so I cannot see this myself. 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2019

Hi Irma,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!
Just to make sure that we are on the same page, you want to add free text fields in the customer portal for the customer to fill while creating the ticket and you need these fields to have a default text to help the customer, is that correct?

I can see that the information from the documentation that you posted is related to Jira Server, but this question is tagged as Jira Service Desk Cloud, so we will need more details about what you need to add in the forms and we can check and test here to send you the resolution.

Regards,
Angélica

Irma Jansen April 8, 2019

Hi Angelica,

Yes, we are indeed using Jira Service Desk Cloud. 

And you are right, I want to create a free text field, that has a default text template so the customer knows exactly what to fill in. 

Kind regards,

Irma

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2019

Hi Irma,

Not sure if you tried, but if you go to Project settings > Request types > Click on "Edit fields" for each request type and you will see the option "Field help" where you can add a text:

Screenshot 2019-04-09_16-58-17.png

When the customer clicks on the field in the customer portal, it will show the text to help them fill the form.

Regards,
Angélica

Irma Jansen April 10, 2019

Hi Angelica,

This is not what I meant. I want to have a text template in a multi-line custom text field.

Thanks.

Irma

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 11, 2019

When we add a default value for a multi-line text field, it will show the text for the customer in the portal but they will be able to edit it and they will have to remove the text to add their text.
On Jira, we don't have the option to add a default text that when someone clicks it will disappear for them to type.
The best option, in this case, is to use the help field mentioned before, because when the customer clicks on the text field it will show on the right side what is that field for and it will help them to add the right information.

Irma Jansen April 12, 2019

So if I understand correctly the multi-line text field is not available for Jira Service Desk?

The help field you mentioned is not an option. It's on field level, and for each request type we need our customers to provide different information in the description field. Since the same description field is used on each request type this would not work.

Or do you suggest to create per request type a separate custom description field?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 16, 2019

Hi Irma,

Yes, it's possible to add multi-line text fields in the customer portal.

I understood that you would like to add this field but with a sample text inside the field for the customer to know what they need to add in the field.
It's not possible to add this sample text, but you can add the field and the help field will tell them what do they need to add.

Here is an example of how it looks in the portal:

Screenshot 2019-04-16_09-47-54.png

Regards,
Angélica

QA Test65 July 27, 2019

Hi Angelica,

How did you add that Multiline text field in Jira Service Desk. I could only find text template that can do single line text.

Thanks

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 29, 2019

Hi @QA Test65

Welcome to Atlassian Community!
You need to create a multi-line custom field, add to the screen and then add to the request type for it to be visible in the customer portal.
Please, go to Jira settings > Issues > Custom fields and create the custom field. On the next page, you need to select the screens of the project you need this custom field.

Screenshot 2019-07-29_12-37-25-420.png

After that, go to the Project settings > Request types > Click on "Edit fields" for the desired request type > Add a field and select the new custom field you created.

Regards,
Angélica

Deelu Alexander July 29, 2019

@Angélica Luz  Thank you so much.

Is there a way I can do the same for Jira Software Next Gen projects. I only get the option to add single line texts.

Like MrUpsidown likes this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
July 30, 2019

Hi @Deelu Alexander,

The multi-line text field is not available for next-gen. Next-gen projects are independent so we can't use the custom fields we created for classic projects.
We have a feature request suggesting the implementation of the multi-line field:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17266
Please, click on vote and watch to receive updates.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Jessica Silvani June 8, 2023

Please disregard

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events