Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating issue for external clients, then send them email.

Sergio Scabuzzo March 29, 2020

Hi all, is there a best practice for creating an issue for an external client? I'm creating an issue where I then wait for them to reply by email.

I didn't really see a way to do this cleanly so I crated an automation:

Screenshot_20200329_200031.png

Any thoughts on a better way to institute this?

1 answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 31, 2020

Hello Sergio,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

When using Jira Service Desk, customers can create their own tickets by sending an email or accessing the customer portal and they will receive a notification when the ticket is created.

Agents can also create a ticket on their behalf and it's not necessary to create an automation for them to receive a notification.

When creating a ticket, it's important to select a Request type because that's what triggers the notification to customers and also what makes the ticket visible in the customer portal.

For more information about the requests by email and the customer permissions, please check the documentation below:

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Regards,
Angélica

Sergio Scabuzzo May 11, 2020

Hi Angelica,

Thanks for your reply and sorry it took me so long to get to this...

What I want to do is start a ticket from me to the customer. Like if I notice they need help with something done on their site. So I would create a ticket and it would be assigned to them.

How would this, or something like it, be done?

Thanks,

Sergio

Sergio Scabuzzo May 11, 2020

I guess best way to describe it is, I want to start a ticket with an external client/organization. Have them get it and be able to reply from email or the customer portal.

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 13, 2020

Hello Sergio,

You can create tickets using the + or Create button in Jira and for them to receive a notification, you must select a Request type (not an issue type).

Screen Shot 2020-05-13 at 10.42.31.png

Tickets can only be assigned to agents, customers can't be the assignee.

You as an agent can reply through the portal or using the agent view and not using the notification because you receive system notifications that don't have this option. Customers can reply using email.

Regards,
Angélica

Sergio Scabuzzo May 13, 2020

I understand. So What would be a recommended way for me to let a client know there is a new update to software, or asking them for login credentials, or advising them about an issue found with their website setup?

Not sure I can see a smooth solution to this and it seems strange I haven't been able to find one. I often start conversations with clients about things that need to get done and I'd love to be able to track them in Jira.

Thanks,

Sergio

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
May 15, 2020

If customers often access the customer portal to create tickets, you can update the announcement banner to let them know about software updates. 

Checking the triggers available on Automation and Project automation, I'm afraid that there is no option to automatically send those updates to customers since most of the triggers are intended to run when the ticket is created or run on an existing ticket.

Sergio Scabuzzo May 15, 2020

Hmm, good to know. Thanks. So there is no way to reach out to an external customer, specially in a ticket form.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events