Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Automation plugin change the Issue Type for incoming emails?

Paul Neat May 15, 2018

We are limited in how we organize our Jira because we are not able to change the Issue Type with an automation rule.  Thus we are changing the request type, but that is limiting. 

We receive emails from both systems and customers and want to be able to distinguish the two, system generated being an Alert and customer generated being a Service Request.  Because we are only able to change the Request Type via automation rule all are set to Alerts, which is confusing.  Hence I am trying to understand if the Automation plug in has more power than the Jira automation logic, or if it just makes it easier to set up automation.

Thanks in advance,

Paul

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Ting _Chiou Ting Teh_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2018

Looks like updating the issue type is not available on the automation rules in JIRA Service Desk.

As an alternative option, you can try this free add-on which possible to update the issue type:
Automation Lite for Jira Cloud

You can find the difference between paid version and free version here:

Paul Neat May 17, 2018

Thanks for your response.  I am aware of the Automation plug in and am really trying to understand if the plug in is more powerful than the Jira Automation, or does it just make it easier to set up automation rules. 

Ting _Chiou Ting Teh_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 17, 2018

The plugin allows more customization compared to the default automation. Example, you can edit any custom field at the 'Advanced' area:

This needs some exploration of Rest API.

Alternative, the automation can also apply to all project types like Software projects.

Paul Neat May 18, 2018

Thanks!

Joshua Sung November 7, 2018

If a Atlasssian Team member admits that there's a better plugin for automation than there's, why not just update the JSD one to include the changing of issue types...

Like # people like this
Thorsten Gading
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 23, 2019

The plugin "Automation Lite for Jira" can also do this and is for free :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events