Can Service desk customers be allowed to edit description of a request?

Can Service desk customers be allowed to edit description of a request?

5 answers

Yes. If your project role Service Desk Customers has Edit Issues permission in the Permission Scheme, and your customers are in that role, they can edit the description.

I tried doing that but it doesnt let the users have edit rights. It says permission denied

It seems that only agents are able to edit issues.

0 votes
Paulo Hennig Atlassian Team Aug 25, 2015

You're right Taulia, the customers can't edit issues. 
For more information about permissions between Agents, Customers and Collaborators, I'd advice you to take a look on the following link:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/SERVICEDESK/JIRA+Service+Desk+permissions

This makes NO sense. Our customers need to be able to change the priority after creation. They need to be able to set a due date after creation, they need to be able to set a screen field on transition.

While I understand you want to have as many users paying for JIRA and agent subscriptions, it is ridiculous to restrict the simple ability to edit fields after the issue is created. We waste so much time editing issues via customer comments.

I also see this is common in the Atlassian feedback systems and yet there is never any Atlassian comment or action.

So frustrating that we are going to probably move from the Atlassian service. We have over a hundred staff on Confluence, Jira and Service Desk, yet the nit picking in Service Desk is too much of a headache to outweigh the integration benefits. 

Christian Roestel Community Champion Feb 09, 2018

Question @Marc Turner , why would you not set the priority and due date when the ticket is created? 

Additionally, We have Service-Now and we cannot change the original data in the submission ticket.   I think this is a best practice for ITSM is not to allow the original request to change. 

you can also look at products such as Backbone that will allow you to sync issues between a service desk project and standard JIRA software project.

i tried adding service desk customers role to the edit issues permissions and it didn't work, in fact JIRA gave me an alert stating there was an error in the permissions. Does anyone have a step by step to enable service desk customers to be able to edit their own issues? I don't mind if they can edit any issue in that particular portal even.

Christian Roestel Community Champion Oct 26, 2017

JIRA Service Desk overrides the Edit issue Permission.  Users Must be an agent to edit an issue. 

Jira has a powerful permission administration and with this override it makes is average. For me it's a key feature that customers can edit their issues!

Christian Roestel Community Champion Jan 23, 2018

Do you need to use Service desk project?   Could you use a non-service JIRA project where JSD does not override the roles? 

If I'm using a Business or Software project we miss the SLA functions. So we need the Service Desk project.

Patric Atrott I'm New Here Tuesday

I agree,

this is pretty strange behaviour to override edit permission,

since some cases need this.

E.G.: we're having account request forms with checkboxes, dropdowns, etc.

And sometimes things need to be changed afterwards, by the requester. ;)

Could this be added please. Otherwise this feature lagg will make the product static as hell and not as proclaimed agile.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

239 views 0 11
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot