Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change the default priority of new issues?

Rik Nackaerts June 12, 2015

Can I change the default priority of new issues created through the Customer Portal? By default all the new issues are 'Medium' prioritized. Is it possible to change that? Is configurable per Service Desk or is it a global setting?

Regards

Rik

8 answers

2 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Adrian Vital March 21, 2018

Yes.  You can change the global settings.

or  

if you want to change for a particular workflow just do the following: 

Add a 'Update Issue Field'  post function to the 'create' transition.

Make sure to add this post function to the number 1 spot - before the issue is created. : 

example: 

The following will be processed after the transition occurs

1. The Priority of the issue will be set to High.
  2. Creates the issue originally.
  3. Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
Oliviu Nita May 14, 2018

Genius !

This solution has to by integrated on the Atlassian doc

Thank you Adrian

Like # people like this
Help Desk Support April 10, 2019

This is a great piece of information thanks for sharing!

luka montin December 19, 2019

this is good but it will also force the priority set in the post function even if the user sets the value. Is there a way to only use the set value if the user doesnt set it themselves .. on workflow by workflow basis rather than for all workflows via the global setting 

7 votes
Answer accepted
Arthur Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2015

Hi Rik,

Please take a look on this article to see how to change the default priority. smile

-- Arthur Gonçalves

Rik Nackaerts June 12, 2015

I overlooked that section :)

André Neves November 2, 2018

Arthur, can you quote the relevant section?

The only reference to "default" that I see in that page is this:

JIRA applications come with a set of default priorities

Like # people like this
Ryan An March 15, 2019

@Arthur Gonçalves maybe the article is changed? I can't find that either.

3 votes
Krister Persson March 24, 2016

IN Jira Service Desk I have found a way to set the Issue Priority default value (not the default set of values) when customer submits the value. That is done via
Service Desk >> (your specific service desk) >> Settings >> (your Request Type of choice) >> Edit Fields

Add field "Priority" and submitted when issue is created as a hidden field. In that case JIra SD asks for a default value.

My following question. Is it possible to make this happen - the preset value/default value is shown if you chose to create an issue independent of issue type directly from JIRA (outside of JIRA SD)?

Krister Persson March 24, 2016

That is via the create screen in JIRA Screen scheme for current SD JIra project.

2 votes
Ali Altiparmak December 19, 2019

For next-gen projects;

1. Project Settings
  2. Issue Types
  3. Select related type
  4. Select priority
  5. There is an option "Default priority"

Screen Shot 2019-12-20 at 09.33.51.png

arno September 29, 2023

Hi @Ali Altiparmak 

According to the method you provided, I did not find the option of priority, I only saw the corresponding workflow and domain in the corresponding problem, can you tell me in detail how to find the default priority you said

Ali Altiparmak September 29, 2023

Hi Arno,
Look at this wider SS, I hope it works for you. 
(jira cloud)

Screenshot 2023-09-29 at 13.07.22.png

arno September 29, 2023

@Ali Altiparmak 

Thank you for your reply

This seems to be the cloud version, we are currently using the server version, there is no corresponding interface, thank you for your help

Ali Altiparmak September 29, 2023

Oh yes, it’s my fault. I should have mentioned that it was the cloud 🙋🏻‍♂️

2 votes
Young.Zhao July 28, 2017

Log on as an administrator.

Find the admin part and issue section,you can find "Priorities" under "Issue Attributes",then set default priority you want.

arno September 29, 2023

Hi @Young.Zhao 

Can you tell me where to set the problem properties, I do not find the specific Settings screen

1 vote
Gilbert Louis June 20, 2018

Thx for the answer. To push this further can I set this default priority for just jiras in one specific project or to specific jira types within a project? so not to affect the priority on other jiras of other projects ?

Shawn McKay September 12, 2018

I have this same question. Can I change the default priority based on issue type?

Adrian Vital September 12, 2018

hmmm... tricky.

How about using Behaviour?  You can set a behavior to run only on a specific Project and Issue type.    Then you can limit which Priority Options that can be used for that specific issue type.   In my example below If issue type is "bug"  the only priorities  in the drop down menu are "low and "High".     

1. Create a new behavior

2. Select the Project(s) and Issue Type(s) impacted 

3. Create Initializer script: 

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.sal.api.user.UserManager

import static com.atlassian.jira.issue.IssueFieldConstants.PRIORITY
def constantsManager = ComponentAccessor.getConstantsManager()

def userUtil = ComponentAccessor.getUserUtil()
log.debug ComponentAccessor.getComponent(UserManager)

def currentUser = ComponentAccessor.getJiraAuthenticationContext().getLoggedInUser();

def allowedPriorities = [:];
//limit priority to priority low and high.  ***Check the priority id on your instance
def priorities = [10, 11];
for(int i=0; i<priorities.size(); i++)
{
def object = constantsManager.getPriorityObject(priorities[i].toString());
allowedPriorities.put(object.id, object.name);
}

getFieldById(PRIORITY).setFieldOptions(allowedPriorities)

Gilbert Louis January 3, 2019

Thank you for your detailled response. Unfortunately I'm not a developer... more a user so not sure what to do with the code you provided.

0 votes
Jamie Zeidler March 2, 2021

For Cloud "Classic" projects..

1. Go to Settings > Issues
  2. In the left col, under "Issue Attributes" select Priorities
    This screen you can create and manage the different Priorities
  3. On the far right, click on Default next to the Priority you want set for new issues.
0 votes
Bart Lamberigts February 27, 2020

In the 'Edit priority scheme' screen (Administration -> Issues -> Priority schemes), there is an option called 'Default priority'. Be aware that you cannot edit the default priority scheme, so you will need to copy it or create a new one.

Michael van Niekerk December 30, 2020

I do not see Priority schemes as an option....

I am an admin please help.

suresh arumugham January 5, 2021

In the server version -

Go to Project Settings, Select Summary.  If you go all the way down, you should be able to see the Priorities and the Priority Scheme associated with your projectCapture.PNG

arno September 29, 2023

Hi @Bart Lamberigts 

Many projects in our system use the "default priority scheme". When creating issue before, the default was "Medium". A few days ago, when colleagues gave feedback on creating issue, the default was "Blocker". It is indicated that the "default priority scheme" cannot be changed, and no modification permission is displayed during operation. Then what is the cause of our problem? Do you have relevant solutions, thank you

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events