Automation Rules run before linked issue is transitioned

Travis Hill October 4, 2017

I'm using JIRA Server v7.2.1 and JIRA Service Desk v3.2.1. We have a Service Desk project set up with an automation rule set up such that when a linked issue is transitioned and the resolution is not empty, add a comment to check the related issue for more details.

When the linked issue is transitioned from In Progress to Closed (with a Resolution of "Complete"), nothing happens to the Service Desk issue.

If the same issue is reopened or transitioned to any other status, then a comment is added to the Service Desk issue.

And the comment itself varies on what it indicates as the status of the linked issue. For instance, while writing this question, I'm testing it out with two Service Desk issues (duplicates) that are linked to one JIRA issue. I transitioned the JIRA issue to Closed (Complete), and nothing happened on either Service Desk issue. When I moved them back to Open, both Service Desk issues received a comment that the status of the JIRA issue had changed. One of the Service Desk issues said that the new status was Closed, and the other Service Desk issue said that the new status was Open. Both of these comments were added due to the single event of me changing the status back to Open.

The expected behavior is that the linked issue would transition completely and then the automation rules would run so that it can check the rules against the new status.

In case it makes any difference, I have the rule set up to run as the user who triggered the rule.

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017

@Travis Hill, the first thing i would check is the workflow post functions. I suspect the ordering of the steps there may be the culprit. I know I had a similar situation awhile back.

Travis Hill October 5, 2017

I don't believe I've modified them at all, but here they are:

1. Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step.
  2. Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition.
  3. Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database.
  4. Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
  5. Fire a Generic Event event that can be processed by the listeners.

My workflow is set up with statuses Open, In Progress, Review, QA, Closed, and Held. I have it set up so that all statuses can transition to all statuses. In the workflow diagram, no status connects directly to any other status. Each status has an All status that connects to them.

The post functions are the same for all statuses except Held, which has the above five with an additional step at the beginning, which says "The Resolution of the issue will be cleared."

I also noticed that it shows "Screen: None - it will happen instantly" for all statuses except Closed, which instead says "Screen: Resolve Issue Screen." This makes sense since there is no modal screen that pops up when changing the status to anything other than Closed, but just thought I would point it out in case it was pertinent.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events