PD tasks

Dean Price October 17, 2022

One thing that I feel is lacking in the discovery feature is the ability to easily share and track tasks that are required for the item in question with the ability to track progress.

It would be good to know if this is something that is being considered?

5 comments

Comment

Minesh Patel October 17, 2022

This would be useful. 

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
Jan-Hendrik Spieth October 17, 2022

What kind of tasks are we talking? Investigation/market research/...?

What's keeping you from managing it with Jira?

I have my own thoughts about this, when it comes to our work. Just interested what it is for you ...

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
Krystal O_Connor October 17, 2022

I use Jira as a delivery tool. Only epics/stories that are 'ready' for refinement land in the backlog there. 

But there is work before and after development of a thing that really is more of a checkbox item. 

In my past life, I used a JPD competitor for ideation etc. What I did was created a board with fields that were checkboxes for specific tasks. I.E.

- Prepping marketing communications with the marketing team

- Educating support / sales / marketing on a thing

- Documentation (I didn't use Jira for this because at that time, that was on me so it was just a "is it done" sort of thing)

So I just created a board specifically for that. JPD has the ability to setup a board like that. It doesn't really show a progress bar per se, but you can look at the board for a specific idea and see where it sits.

As we used feature flagging that a PM could toggle to enable/disable a thing for users, I would look at that board and make sure I had everything in alignment before I scheduled a thing to go live.

Just giving some context on how someone might use something like this. I think as with anything along these lines, there will be a large amount of variation depending on different team/group/org workflows so maintaining flexibility there is a big deal.

Like # people like this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 18, 2022

Thanks everyone, that's great context. It is not currently something we have on our list of commitments, but we've discussed it a few times. In the meantime you can actually add tasks/a checklist in each idea's description:

Screenshot 2022-10-18 at 10.28.21.png

It's pretty basic though: using this you need to open each idea to see the status of each task, you don't have a place where you can see tasks assigned to you, tasks across all ideas, etc. 

Task tracking is a whole other beast - I'm not convinced we should tackle that vs jobs that are more closely related to product discovery. 

David Nadri March 12, 2024

Hi @Dean Price @Minesh Patel @Krystal O_Connor - have any of you found a way to easily view, track, & manage tasks directly in JPD?

I posted a similar question in the JPD community - How to easily view discovery tasks across ideas in a JPD view? - but there doesn't seem to be a solution that addresses the key points:

• Need the ability to see the discovery tasks & their status across each idea in the JPD view without having to drill down into each one. (see below for an example)
  • Even if you use Jira Software tasks and link them to the ideas in JPD, you still don't have the ability to view the tasks across the ideas in a view without having to open the idea/drill down.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events