Field Pins

Jack Arndt April 20, 2023

I did some testing with a teammate and it appears that ticket field pins are a global setting.

Is there any plan to make this unique to users? I can see this causing a lot of challenges for my users.

3 comments

Comment

Kalin U
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 20, 2023

Hi, Jack. The documentation for Jira Software explicitly states that:

Your pinned fields are completely personal. Only you can see the fields you’ve pinned, and your teammates will only see the fields they’ve pinned

My personal experience with Jira Service Management has also been the same. Is this not implemented in Jira Product Discovery yet?

Jack Arndt April 21, 2023

It appears to not be.

I had a verify specific set of pins on my screen, and this was what my SM saw when he logged into JPD for the first time on his Idea tickets.

He changed the pins to a very specific set, and when I refreshed I had those as well.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2023

hi @Jack Arndt you are correct everything is shared in Jira Product Discovery by default. We probably need to find a different name than "pin" for this feature as the outcome is different to Jira Software and Jira Service Management. This feature is about making sure that some fields can be seen anytime anyone opens an idea. 

What's your use case for people wanting to pin different fields? That would be super useful information. Thanks! 

Like Steffen Opel _Utoolity_ likes this
Jack Arndt April 24, 2023

Hi @Tanguy Crusson 

We plan to track the end to end lifecycle of ideas for large roadmap items and other customer enhancements using JPD. We have different personas who will use the tool slightly differently to track the end to end flow; the need for different pinned fields will vary from persona to persona.

Our very active internal stakeholders (~30 users) will have paid access and have a set of views to:
1. Create Requests
2. View Requests
3. Escalate Requests by editing custom fields
4. Challenge Priority Scores by editing custom fields
5. Formally Request Items to be Unarchived by editing custom fields
6. Update the last time they reviewed their requests so its transparent to their management via a custom field

The above persona's set of fields deviates drastically from our Product Managers (~30 users) who:
1. Triage, Score, and Prioritize Items using RICE
2. Attach Discovery Docs
3. Identify and Tag Dependency Teams
4. Link Delivery Work Items
5. Set Roadmap Target Quarters
We also have Agile Coaches who work with our PM’s to help ensure all Idea tickets have the correct artifacts and fields filled out for each step of the process.

We are early in the process of starting a beta with 6 Agile Coaches who are wiring up existing roadmap items as Ideas. With many different fields and custom views, the lack of being able to locally pin fields has caused them some challenges and confusion; my concern is that the same thing will happen as we scale this out.

Like Tere Pile likes this
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 25, 2023

Thanks for the context, that makes sense. 

Tere Pile April 25, 2023

Same basic concept as above: We have 6 different platform owners and multiple 'contributors' (once we get to beta this more effectively - but I could see a similar set up as above, where I define x fields across platforms, each platform owner may want to 'save' for a unique element and then contributors who like the above play a role but may not want to or need to see what I or the platform owner has 'pinned' 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
April 26, 2023

@Jack Arndt @Tere Pile Based on what you described I wonder if this solution that we're working on would work better for you after we've shipped it: 

https://www.loom.com/share/821ad544fbf14fc6bebb1ac892b0ecd7 

What do you think? 

Tere Pile April 26, 2023

As it relates to the Stakeholder view is very interesting and would definitely hold value for my non-Jira users/Executives etc.   Still fill like pinning needs to be a bit more refined maybe per 'creator' no contribute, or per 'project' vs. global 

My struggle right now is this:  I have a leader who very much wants far better visibility into major ideas. No budget for any major net/new tech stakes to support this.  I have a group of platform leaders who seem to love excel (don't get me started) plus a general dislike for 'change or oversight' from technical and product leads.  The people part, I can cover obviously, just trying to find simplest path forward for least 'cost' as possible 

So Jira Discovery visually tracks w/their excel views, tracks w/the cross platform high level updates we're trying to accomplish (given we have jira projects in 3 different 'instances'. And best part is the updated pricing model. 

JPD_sample.png

Like Tanguy Crusson likes this
Jack Arndt April 28, 2023

@Tanguy Crusson  This is interesting, can what you shared be configured to enable Contributor's to edit custom fields?  

Example:
This is a view for Contributors to escalate requests. They fill out relevant criteria then select the checkbox which triggers a Slack alert. 

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 2.43.36 PM.png

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
May 1, 2023

Hi @Jack Arndt , no only creators can edit fields. 

Contributors can: 

- create ideas (via a form)

- vote

- comment

- add insights

- add reactions

Tere Pile February 6, 2024

@Tanguy Crusson is there any update or movement on pinned fields for JPD aligning w/other Jira products? 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events