cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating Idea from JSM Project

Meytal BM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2023

Hi, after our product team reviews requests from their JSM project, based on a status, we trigger an automation to create an Idea in their JPD project.

What works?

It creates the JPD successfully

Fields like Summary and Description are being added correctly in the JPD item

What doesn't work?

Unable to sent custom field values to the JPD field which has the same exact name - why is this?

My Issue?

We want to give our customers a friend form,  hence we are using JSM (as it was suggested in other posts) and then create an JPD Idea from the JSM request with relevant field information. This doesn't seem to work well. How can I resolve this? Any ideas?

2023-01-25_15-03-40.png

2023-01-25_15-04-33.png

2 comments

Kate Pawlak _Appsvio_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 25, 2023

Hi @Meytal BM ,

The service project which you used: Is it team- or company-managed? I can check it on my test instance.

The Jira Product Discovery project is team-managed, so it uses its fields, not global custom fields. The automation doesn't know how to map custom fields to project fields. I'm not sure there is any solution available now 😐

Best regards,

Kate

Chief Product Officer & Co-founder @Appsvio | Atlassian Community Leader

Meytal BM
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2023

Thanks @kA

The JSM is company managed.

So you're saying I can't set values from one project into the JPD? If that is the case, that sucks :-/

Do u have any other ideas to show friend forms to our customers to create Ideas?

Omer Meshar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2023

Most probably the problem you are seeing is because Jira is confused by having two fields with the same name, one company managed (JSM) and one team managed (JPD).

To resolve this, you can rename one of them, and then you will be able to choose the correct one in the automation rule to set. For example, name " JPD AF Group" the field on the JPD project.

You might find out that you can't choose to copy the value from the JSM's "AF Group", so instead, you can create a variable that stores the value from the JSM, and use it when setting the info on the new issue.

However, do take into account that since these are two different fields, Jira might not be able to map the values as you expect (i.e. JSM's AF Group values would not map correctly to JPD AF group values). In that case, you might need to copy first to a text field in JPD, and then have an automation rule that sets the JPD AF Group according to the text it got.

Meytal BM
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 25, 2023

hi @Ome  thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the creating a variable, not sure what you mean by that, can u give me an example? 

I will do some testing tomorrow and update you. thanks

Meytal BM
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2023

@Omer Meshar  so far it seems to work. I just tested it out. Gonna continue here and see if it works for all the fields. thanks again!

2023-01-26_13-32-47.png

Like Omer Meshar likes this
Omer Meshar
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 26, 2023

@Meytal BM regarding variable - one of the actions you can use is to create a variable, that can be used later on in the rule. This can help you save some information from one issue, for example, and use it on another issue.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events