Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting issues from JIRA Dev Project into JPD project? Advice?

Louise Baker June 24, 2022

Hey there!
As I've dove into JPD, I'm discovering this is the tool I've been dreaming of for the last few years ;) I'm pretty excited!

My company is new to "doing product management correctly" so we've incorrectly been creating issues / stories / tickets for EVERY idea over the last 10 years. All of these are within our dev queue, which is causing confusion. They don't belong there!

My goal: to transfer these ideas INTO JPD. However, I don't want to lose the history. I also know that some of these issues are duplicative.

Any suggestions on what to do? Close all the current issues (that are not actual dev to-dos) and recreate new, linked issues in JPD? Simply Move all issues into JPD?

Has anyone tried something like that? What was your approach?

3 comments

Comment

Alexis Marticorena June 24, 2022

You may want a second opinion, as we're pretty new to JPD as well, but in our experience, when we moved issues from our Jira Software Project to JPD, it retained all our previous comments, linked issues, attachments, & description. I'm looking at one of our ideas now, and I'm not 100% certain that all fields that were available in the stories (such as story point estimates, for instance) were moved over. At least, I'm not seeing that particular field looking at the idea.

Sara Di Meglio June 24, 2022

Hi ! I have been struggling a lot with that (have created a topic here)

So I have created them in JPD from a csv export but lost a lot of information and need to update them individually to put back the associated insights in the right place, it's a bit time consuming but I have not found a better way to do it 

Louise Baker June 27, 2022

Yikes! Losing information - that's a pretty discouraging thing to hear!

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 28, 2022

@Louise Baker @Sara Di Meglio @Alexis Marticorena as you know Jira Product Discovery is currently in beta, and as part of that we took a few shortcuts and have a few limitations. One of those is a way to import ideas into the tool. 

As of today I would recommend doing the following: 

• Do a CSV export from the source/Jira Software project
  • Use the CSV import from the target/Jira Product Discovery project, and make sure that the idea ends up linked to the corresponding Jira Software issue (which you need to specify in the CSV)
  • Test it in a throw away Jira Product Discovery project first
  • Then do it on the real project
  • Finally, you can transition all the software issues to "Done"

The reason for this is that this way you are sure not to lose any data as the Jira Software issues are still here - vs with bulk move a few things can go wrong (fields not matching between the source and target project, field type not supported in the discovery project, etc.)

That being said, if all you care about is the following being preserved:

• Summary
  • Description
  • Comments
  • Linked issues

Then a bulk move of these issues should work fine. I'd recommend testing on a couple of ideas first.

But if you used lots of custom fields, you might run into issues with the bulk move. 

Like Joost Reijnen likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events