Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice to administer user in JPD

James Fama June 30, 2023

Good afternoon Atlassian Community,

We are currently in Free Trial in JPD. I want to know what are the best practice to administer user in JPD.

By watching the the following video and I have some understand how to manage users.

https://www.loom.com/share/1950d8453cbe494fbf58f9be7ddeaa7d

https://www.loom.com/share/aa108aabcb744e758714ea8b1479dc3d

https://www.loom.com/share/518a479ed70c4b8f97a7a41de4ac4dce

First Steps:

I added users to this group if they want to be as CREATOR -

jira-product-discovery-users-<company.name>

I added user to this group if they want to be as CONTRIBUTOR -

jira-product-discovery-contributors-<company.name>

Second Steps:

I have added users under Access in JPD project & specify which role they need.

Is this right? Is it necessary to perform First Steps & Second Steps?

I also have to change the project access from Open to Limited. It is because 'Open' access - any user with product access can act as a creator. We are still in the free trial and only up to 3 Creators.

Quick question the project role:

Administrator has Creator access plus admin access to the project. So if I added a user with Administrator role she automatically she has Creator access right? Or do I need to add Administrator and Creator access?

Since Administrator access eats up the Creator license - is there a project role that I can add myself as I only I need to need to administer users or adding fields and and modify project settings.

Please let me know. Thank you!

Sincerely,

James

2 comments

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2023

Hi @James Fama 

Is this right? Is it necessary to perform First Steps & Second Steps? Yes

Administrator has Creator access plus admin access to the project. So if I added a user with Administrator role she automatically she has Creator access right? Or do I need to add Administrator and Creator access? Within a project, the administrator role will automatically give them Creator permissions as well.

Since Administrator access eats up the Creator license - is there a project role that I can add myself as I only I need to need to administer users or adding fields and and modify project settings. There are instructions here on removing access for site admins. https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-articles/Read-this-if-you-re-a-site-administrator-and-just-added-Jira/ba-p/2385379

Like James Fama likes this
James Fama June 30, 2023

@Rohan Swami I already read it. I did that already. Before posting this message. Thank you. Do I remove myself from access still I can administer in JPD?

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 30, 2023

@James Fama remove the site admin group from access, then add yourself for access.

James Fama July 3, 2023

@Rohan Swami Thank you for answering my question. Yes I did that already. I was wondering without adding myself to this project as admin, do I have access to manage users and add field as org admin? Thank you

James Fama July 6, 2023

@Rohan Swami Good morning - just want to follow up. Any thoughts? Thank you

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
July 6, 2023

hi @James Fama A creator (ie. not a project admin) can not add fields or manage users. You can see these permissions from Project settings > Access > Project roles > Manage project roles:

Screenshot 2023-07-06 at 7.35.08 pm.png

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events