Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Using effort in a weighted formula

I want to build a formula that helps me identify features that are "high impact" and "low effort". Therefore, I would like to build a weighted formula that takes into account "Score" and "Effort". Where:

• Score: Higher is better
  • Effort: Lower is better. (1 "dot" better than 5 "dots")

Right now as implemented for weighted formulas, both are calculated/normalized to be "higher is better".

3 answers

I think this can be easily solved by writing an Expression that inverts the value of the weighting in the calculated score. Or divides by effort. For example if using RICE scoring model: 2* (([Reach]+[Impact]+[Confidence])/[Effort])

It's really needed feature that you can select if value is positive or negative (if number 5 is good or bad thing). We are missing a lot if we can't use weighted score with rating fields when using impact vs effort (or other similar) framework

0 votes

@Seth Mason : what @Jonathan Hau said!

Here's a demo: https://www.loom.com/share/a09506455d6b4571a912567d5df4169b

Also, you can use negative numbers in the weighted score (e.g. impact = 200, effort = -100) but I'm not sure how mathematically accurate it is. We've seen users doing that though

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you