Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using effort in a weighted formula

Seth Mason April 6, 2022

I want to build a formula that helps me identify features that are "high impact" and "low effort". Therefore, I would like to build a weighted formula that takes into account "Score" and "Effort". Where:

• Score: Higher is better
  • Effort: Lower is better. (1 "dot" better than 5 "dots")

Right now as implemented for weighted formulas, both are calculated/normalized to be "higher is better".

7 answers

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2023

Hi everyone, this change is coming up soon. Note that you can also use a "write your own" formula to do that today.

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 14.48.01.png

Wing Yee Tang January 26, 2023

Do you have an estimated date when it will be rolled out? It's a bit silly now to have the effort score in reverse order (e.g. 1 dot is high effort and 3 dots is low effort) 🙈

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 26, 2023

We don't generally share release dates.

In the meantime, you can try:

• using a negative input? (e.g. "-100" for effort)
  • using a custom formula ("write your own", e.g. "{Impact}/{Effort}")

What we're going to ship here is basically a convenience UI to achieve the same result

Wing Yee Tang January 26, 2023

Thanks! I will try the negative input

2 votes
Jonathan Hau April 6, 2022

I think this can be easily solved by writing an Expression that inverts the value of the weighting in the calculated score. Or divides by effort. For example if using RICE scoring model: 2* (([Reach]+[Impact]+[Confidence])/[Effort])

1 vote
Riku_Kristersson May 24, 2022

It's really needed feature that you can select if value is positive or negative (if number 5 is good or bad thing). We are missing a lot if we can't use weighted score with rating fields when using impact vs effort (or other similar) framework

1 vote
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
April 6, 2022

@Seth Mason : what @Jonathan Hau said!

Here's a demo: https://www.loom.com/share/a09506455d6b4571a912567d5df4169b

Also, you can use negative numbers in the weighted score (e.g. impact = 200, effort = -100) but I'm not sure how mathematically accurate it is. We've seen users doing that though

0 votes
Hannes Krug March 20, 2023

I also have problems with that. I would like to have positive and negative weighted inputs. 

Problems now: 

1. It is not clear to me how the negative input goes into the weighted formula. 
Is there documentation about the specific formula behind it? 

2. "Make Your Own" is not normalising input fields so it is not possible to create an own weighted formula

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
March 20, 2023

Hi @Hannes Krug , it's explained here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-product-discovery/docs/expression-based-formulas/

Can't you see the "positive inputs" and "negative inputs" section in the configuration of your formula?

Hannes Krug March 20, 2023

Thank you very much @Tanguy Crusson !

Yes I can see it. Problem was that there is no explanation of how that goes into the formula behind it. But you just explained it here :) https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Product-Discovery-questions/How-can-we-use-quot-Effort-quot-as-a-negative-weight-for-impact/qaq-p/2304456

0 votes
Engin Erkan December 28, 2022

I also came across the same issue.
As is
- I'm currently using the values of the effort field in the oppoosite (wrong) direction in order to make the calculation right.  

To be
- User should be able to indicate whether a criteria is contributing to the score in the positive or negative direction

0 votes
Jeremy West December 5, 2022

Just came across the same issue, if not using RICE this solution isn't really helpful. I agree with Riku that you should be able to indicate if a scoring field is positive or negative. 

Where impact score includes effort, the lowest effort should be able to be weighted highest if required.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events