Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we use "Effort" as a negative weight for impact scoring?

Benedict Lubik March 20, 2023

Hey everyone,

we've been trying to implement a very basic, custom formula for impact scoring in our team. We are using three metrics that positively impact our score (Business value 1-5, Key Customers (weighted), Insights (amount)) and one metric that is supposed to negatively impact our score (Effort).

Is there anyway to map this without using a custom formula? It seems to us that if we only use one negative metric, it weighs 50% in our total score.

Best,

Benedict

1 answer

1 accepted

Suggest an answer

4 votes
Answer accepted
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2023

Hi @Benedict Lubik

you can either use a Weighted score formula with both positive and negative inputs,

or, if that's not working for you:

you'll soon (within a week?) be able to use negative numbers in the "positive inputs" section - we've seen some teams with more exotic needs where this would help.

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2023

The way it works with fields in the "negative inputs" section:

Normalize ( Normalize ( Positive1 ) * weightP1 +  ...  + Normalize ( PositiveX ) * weightPX)

Normalize ( Normalize ( Negative1 ) * weightN1 +  ...  + Normalize ( PositiveX ) * weightNX)

If you put everything in the positive inputs section and use a negative number in the positive input section, it will normalize by adding everything, including the negative number. 

Sorry, I couldn't find a way to explain it in plain English in a way that made sense 

Like # people like this
Benedict Lubik March 20, 2023

Hi @Tanguy Crusson 

thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I struggled with formulating my question as well so no worries, I understood your answer. We will just wait for you to release an update then!

BR

Hannes Krug March 27, 2023

you'll soon (within a week?) be able to use negative numbers in the "positive inputs" section - we've seen some teams with more exotic needs where this would help

Upvote for that 

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
March 27, 2023

It's there already!

Like Hannes Krug likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events