Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing Polaris custom fields with Software Project

Hannah Garvin March 22, 2023

Scenario:

I have created custom fields in a Polaris Project e.g. High time estimate and want to send this value to the 'Original Estimate' field in a Software Project when I create a delivery ticket.

I have reviewed the below-linked article, but as I am no development engineer, I don't understand the examples and what triggers are being used to set up automation.

https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/advanced-field-editing-using-json/

I have successfully achieved a similar automation for the Polaris Overview field being transferred to the Jira Software Project Descriptions field.  The key thing here is these fields are standard/preset in their respective project boards, whereas the fields I now want to be automated from Polaris are custom fields to populate preset Software fields (e.g. Story Points and Original Estimate)

How do I use custom code to do this - how do I understand the examples given in the article link to write my own automation when I am no engineer?  Please make this user-friendly as I have had an engineer look at your coding examples and they can't even work out what is triggering what and delivery what.

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2023

Hi Hannah, I've sent you a follow up email.

For those following along in the Community, below is an Automation example for copying Story points from a Discovery Project to Jira Software. Note that the Story Points field is incompatible with Automation so I've created a custom field called Story point estimate JSW.

automation1.pngautomation2.pngautomation3.pngautomation4.png

Jan-Hendrik Spieth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2023

@Rohan Swamithe images don't show. Could you check?

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2023

thanks @Jan-Hendrik Spieth i've reuploaded it should work now.

Like Jan-Hendrik Spieth likes this
Shaun Jeavons May 1, 2024

hi @Hannah Garvin  - I'm trying to update the other way (i.e. I have an Epic linked to a RDP Idea (implements/implemented by) and can't get it so that when I update my Story Point Estimate field in my Epic that it updates a RDP Idea Story Point Estimate Total (Custom Field).

Do you have a view on how this might work (i.e. would it just be reversing your automation perhaps using the 'Parent' instead of 'linked issues'?)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events