Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira Product Discovery - views and the fields

Boleslaw Nowak March 19, 2023

Hey everyone, first of all we really enjoy the piece of software that the Product Discovery brings to the table, and how it helps to manage things on the product side.

Wanted to ask about few things though - the field structure is not really clear to me, and their configuration:

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 16.22.51.png

How do I define those fields, is there a way to add/remove those from this view? It looks pretty similar to Jiras View configuration for issues, but I couldnt find the setting anywhere.

Secondly I'm creating a custom view - which is aimed for less tech-savy ppl which I wanted to be pretty basic, and simple to use as of reportin their ideas but when I would want to have a pretty simply flow within the view so the user creates an idea - adds its title, 2nd step I would want is to add the description which I try to add as a column in the view:

Screenshot 2023-03-14 at 16.24.19.png

but I can't really add a description to it, I can only add something that's called `Public description` and `Short description` which both are those hidden "other" fields, and they don't correspond to the main description - which I don't quite get the logic. 

thanks for help in advance!

1 answer

Suggest an answer

0 votes
Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 20, 2023

Hi @Boleslaw Nowak ,

To create new fields, go to a view and select Fields in the nav above the view (next to Sort).

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 5.57.17 pm.png

When you create a view - such as Impact Assessment below - you choose which fields appear in the view. These same fields will appear in the idea view on the right, fields that are not shown in the Impact Assessment view appear in the idea view on the right in the section called Other fields

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 6.01.20 pm.png

The Public description and Short description fields can appear in a view. I think you're trying to get your users to fill out the Overview which is used for long form text. The Overview can not appear in views - we'll take this feedback on board.

Screenshot 2023-03-20 at 6.06.05 pm.png

Boleslaw Nowak March 21, 2023

thanks for your answer @Rohan Swami  thought there are some limitation when it comes to this field configuration.

Question though, if I would remove some views (or fields in that views) that those fields come from, would that remove them from the "Other fields" section? 

Jan-Hendrik Spieth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2023

Question though, if I would remove some views (or fields in that views) that those fields come from, would that remove them from the "Other fields" section?

No. "Other fields" basically are all the fields that you have in your JPD project, but that are not "Fields in this view".

There is no feature to have hidden fields, or something like that, afaik.

Rohan Swami
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 22, 2023

yep @Jan-Hendrik Spieth is correct!

Like Jan-Hendrik Spieth likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events