Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to assign a Delivery Ticket when importing Ideas into Jira Product Discovery?

Robby Keefer May 31, 2024

Is it possible to assign a Delivery Ticket when importing a new Idea into Discovery?   

2 answers

0 votes
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2024

Hi Robby, you should be able to do that: when you add a delivery ticket to an idea it creates a link between those 2 Jira issues with a a specific link type "implements/is implemented by"

You can import those via a CSV import: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Linking-issues-from-a-CSV-import/qaq-p/2579648

Robby Keefer June 3, 2024

Hello Tanguy,

In the CSV import process, I don't see a way to set the specific link type "implements/is implemented by".  There is an option for "Link "Discovery issue link" but that does not show a delivery ticket after importing a new Idea.   

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 3, 2024

Hi Robby, I tried a few different things and found one way to make it work with manual work. Basically you need to first import the ideas, and then import the issue links separately: 

1. First import the ideas into Jira Product Discovery via a CSV import
  2. Then prepare the file to import the idea issue link in the delivery tickets
    1. go to filters > view all issues
    2. filter to find the delivery tickets
    3. export the delivery tickets in a CSV file
    4. Edit that CSV file to only keep the Key and Summary columns
    5. Add a 3rd column called "Idea key". Unfortunately you'll need to enter all the idea issue keys there for the mapping
  3. Then import that file - For that you'll need to do it from the import that is in the Jira system settings
    1. Settings menu (top navigation bar > cog next to your avatar)
    2. Choose Jira settings > system
    3. with the keyboard, press "."
    4. Search for "import"
    5. --> External system import
      1. Choose your file
      2. Choose the project with the delivery tickets
      3. Map the issue key to "Issue key"
      4. Map Summary to Summary
      5. Map "Idea key" to "Polaris issue link"
    6. And import

I've just tested and it worked for me. 

It's brutal - we'll need to find a way to make it easier. the problem is that while the import tool lets you select the link type, it doesn't let you choose the direction of that link ("Polaris link type" = "implements" for the delivery ticket and "is implemented by" for the idea). Also we need to rename these links so their name actually means something that people can understand......

Hello Tanguy,

Thank you for the proposed workaround.   All is clear except I don't have a field I can map to called "Polaris issue link".   

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 4, 2024

if you scroll all the way to the bottom you should find it (searching for it in the dropdown doesn't work for some reason...)

Robby Keefer June 4, 2024

Hello Tanguy,

There is no value in the mapping list with the name "Polaris issue link".  

Has the field been renamed - Link "Discovery datapoint issue link"

Hello Tanguy,

Assuming Link "Discovery datapoint issue link" is the correct mapping field, this test did not work for me.   I successfully created a link in the Epic back to the JPD Idea, but it does not automatically create the delivery ticket in the Idea.   I assume I am not required to run 2 separate imports to establish a delivery ticket link.   

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 5, 2024

@Robby Keefer that's what I see. What do you see?Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 12.29.17.png

Maybe a Jira admin deleted the issue link type? In this case, I think we automatically recreate it when you create a project or when you add a delivery ticket to an idea.

Robby Keefer June 5, 2024

This is what I see

image.png

Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 6, 2024

Okay, that'll be "Discovery issue link"

Robby Keefer June 6, 2024

Hello Tanguy,

It's good to know that I'm using the correct mapping field, but the technique you suggested did not work for me.   

• I followed your suggestion below and ran an import against the Epic
  • I successfully created a link in the Epic back to the JPD Idea, but it does not automatically create the delivery ticket in the Idea.   I assume I am not required to run 2 separate imports to establish a delivery ticket link.   
Tanguy Crusson
Atlassian Team
June 6, 2024

What do you see as link type in the Epic?

If you open the epic, I'd expect to see a section called "implements" with the idea there.

If it's not the case, and you see "is implemented by" it means that in your case the issue link type is setup the other way around and you should be able to import the relationship directly in the discovery project using the same method (and if that's the case, I'm sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase!)

If none of that works, please book some time so we can troubleshoot that together: https://calendly.com/tcrusson/30min-1

0 votes
Pieter Helsen June 3, 2024

Hi Robby,

Could you elaborate on what you're trying to achieve? 

• Are they existing Delivery Tickets? or do you want to create a new one?
  • How are you importing the Idea? 

Hello Pieter,

• Are they existing Delivery Tickets? or do you want to create a new one?
    • There are existing Jira Epics or Stories, I want to Add a Delivery Ticket when creating a new Discovery Idea.
  • How are you importing the Idea? 
    • .CSV Import

I am trying to migrate a series of Jira issues into Discovery via the External System Import process (CSV Import).   When a new Discovery Idea is created, I want to also create a link it to the related Jira Epic/Story as a delivery ticket.   I have the Jira Issue Key, but have not had any luck adding a delivery ticket when creating a new Idea via the CSV Import.   

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events