Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Including "Description" field in CSV export?

Andy Lutz October 16, 2023

Hello!

The ability to export a view to CSV is very helpful for my org, as often we want to capture a "snapshot" of the roadmap at a certain point in time.

It looks like the export functionality is limited to only capturing fields that are enabled in the view, which means it's not possible to export the "Description" for the item (since that cannot be enabled as a field in the view).

I'm wondering if there's any way to include the "Description" in the CSV export, or if this is planned functionality?

Thanks!

Andy

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 17, 2023

Hi Andy, 

basically this functionality is a WYSIWYG exporter, so it's not planned to have the description in it (especially since the description can be _very_ long and including a lot of formatting, attachments and links, which aren't suitable to the csv format. 

The main usecase was to be able to quickly get and export to then do even more complex operations, such as advanced filtering, or pivot tables, based on formula values etc. 

Could you please elaborate on your use case? 

In the meantime, you can display a short text field , such as "public description, which will be useful also for timeline views or when we release stakeholder views. 

Cheers, 

Hermance

Andy Lutz October 17, 2023

Thank you Hermance, that was what I assumed and I appreciate the clarification.

For my use case specifically, I have several PMs that want to share an export with other stakeholders who do not have access to their Project. However, without the Description, the stakeholders don't have the additional context needed to make the export useful.

I'm curious when stakeholder views is planned for release?

That might solve part of this issue.

Hermance NDounga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 20, 2023

Hey Andy, 

Yeah for what you describe, sharing static csv documents isn't ideal anyways. Stakeholders view is currently EAP, so I cannot provide you with an exact date, but it should be in like 3-6 months :) 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Sebastian Pechhold October 16, 2023

Descriptions will be exported as well. After export you can check the file and before importing them, you can validate all data. It is not really easy but feasible. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events